OMC Shifting Issue

principalvz

Recruit
i have a 96 5.0 cobra. When the boat is off, it shifts smoothly between forward, neutral, reverse. Out on the water it is very difficult to shift, find neutral thee have been times when it is in reverse and i move the throttle to forward the boat isnt catching gear and continues to move in reverse. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
i have a 96 5.0 cobra. When the boat is off, it shifts smoothly between forward, neutral, reverse. Out on the water it is very difficult to shift, find neutral thee have been times when it is in reverse and i move the throttle to forward the boat isnt catching gear and continues to move in reverse. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

:welcome: to iboats

Sounds like you need to adjust your shift linkage, and it probably even needs the cable replaced. At the top of this section there is Dons adults only section and discussion of OMC. In side the OMC section there is a link which I posted below which Hastings goes into some depth. Have a read and let us know how else we can help

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The boat is a '96, but what drive is on it? There were 2 OMC Cobra, the first series were the dog clutch models that were flat across the top (86-93 production) and the second series were the joint venture with Volvo models (94-98) these have cone clutch shifting and have a hump on top and look just like a Volvo SX. Post up what you have because the shifting systems are totally different. It is possible to have a '93 drive on a '94 boat but I'd be surprised to see on on a '96.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it's a 96, it's pretty much for sure a Cobra SX which is basically the Volvo drive. Take off the back cover of your drive and you will see the shift linkage. You can see if when you shift if the cable is putting the drive fully in gear.

principalvz

Recruit
I appreciate the feedback but mistyped the year. It is a 1993. Will this alter anyone's thoughts? Thanks for your support!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I appreciate the feedback but mistyped the year. It is a 1993. Will this alter anyone's thoughts? Thanks for your support!

Yes. You have a dog clutch Cobra then and likely need a new lower shift cable.