OMC Cobra Outboard

tangoks

Recruit
New to trying to fix boats so please bear with me - I have 4.3 motor with a OMC Cobra outboard Model# 985269 - 1st problem was I could never get the boat to plan - I could get it to about 2200 RPMS then it would just die. Was told micro switch was bad in the shifter lever so I replaced it - was told it was had to adjust but work with it on the water and I could get it that way - well I could not get it adjusted. Son took it to the lake so he could play with it and it turned into a disaster - seemed to work for awhile for him then he could not get it to move forward - only worked in reverse! not sure where to start any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!!

alldodge

Staff member
New to trying to fix boats so please bear with me - I have 4.3 motor with a OMC Cobra outboard Model# 985269 - 1st problem was I could never get the boat to plan - I could get it to about 2200 RPMS then it would just die. Was told micro switch was bad in the shifter lever so I replaced it - was told it was had to adjust but work with it on the water and I could get it that way - well I could not get it adjusted. Son took it to the lake so he could play with it and it turned into a disaster - seemed to work for awhile for him then he could not get it to move forward - only worked in reverse! not sure where to start any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!!

Need more info but for the engine to make it to 2200 and then die is not the shifter lever or switch. Need more info on this issue. Does it die slowly or real quick? Will the engine restart after it dies? The micro switch is used to disengage from forward to neutral or reverse to neutral. It should not be activating while the engine is in gear

Most time when an OMC will not shift correctly it needs a new shift cable, and then readjust.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Like Alldodge said. the shift assist probably doesn't have anything to do with the no RPM's.
Start at the tank vent hose.It can be partially clogged and not allow air in.
The coil could be breaking down(get's real hot).
The filters dirty, the anti-siphon valve sticky/dirty.
The hoses soft mushy.

tangoks

Recruit
The engine does not stop running just dies out to an idle very quickly put in neutral and push forward and it starts moving again. Also any suggestion as to why prop only engages in reverse?

alldodge

Staff member
The engine does not stop running just dies out to an idle very quickly put in neutral and push forward and it starts moving again. Also any suggestion as to why prop only engages in reverse?

Really sounds like your not getting enough fuel. So far as why it it only engines in reverse I'll go back to the shift cable and it's adjustment, this needs to be checked.