4.3 cobra with omc outdrive dies when put into gear

I have a 94 four wins with a 4.3 omc it cranks and runs great but shifting into forward or reverse its sputters and will stall out unless I put it in gear an go to over half throttle then gate it back ive herd bout esa module or cables looking for opinions and help on fixing the problem

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Howdy,

It does sound like an ESA "problem" in that it's might be activating when going into gear if it's a "Dog-Clutch" drive..

It would be helpful if you posted which model Cobra you have. In 1994 the ESA was not used with the Cone Clutch models.

If your boat is a 1994 year model, it's possible that you would have a 1993 engine and drive making it a Dog-clutch drive (with an ESA)

If your engine and drive are the 1994 year, then you will have the Cone-clutch drive that doesn't use the ESA module.

1994 models include the following:

432ACMMDA
432ACPMDA
432AGMMDA
432AGPMDA

If your engine and drive are 1993 then it will be one of the following:

432APLJVB
432APLJVN
432APRJVB
432APRJVN
434APLJVB
434APLJVN
434APRJVB
434APRJVN

It's important to know what you have to suggest how to proceed.

Go to http://epc.brp.com to view parts diagrams for different year engines and drives. (you don't have to put your email address in)
Here's a link to an online manual: http://boatinfo.no/lib/omc/manuals/1986-1998omcmanual.html

Regards,

Rick

im not exactly sure this is my first boat its a four wins freedom not sure on actual year or type clutches in it what is the best way to tell

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If you cannot find the model number anywhere on the engine, then take a couple of sharp pictures of the drive. and post them here.

It'll be pretty obvious what you have when we see it.

If you cannot post pictures, try using a photo hosting site such as Photobucket or other hosting site. Those sites will have instructions on how to post pictures in a forum or email etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have the SX Cobra which is basically a Volvo drive. No ESA.

Any idea what would be causing it to die when put into gear kinda lugs down and chokes out but if you slam it down like 3/4 throttle it will pick up and take off great an ease back to low rpm with no problem an shifts into N with no issues

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a carb issue but before you get into it, what is the condition of your spark plugs, wires and fuel filter? What is the general condition of your engine...ever done a compression check?

Its a brand new carb from guranteed carburatos plugs are maby few months old an boat runs great and sounds great. Put new fuel filter on few weeks ago but never done a compresion test

Im not quiet sure because idles fine an runs fine in gear at high an low RPM'S and even shifts to N fine jus wants to sputter when put into gear unless you give it atleast half throtle

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The idle circuit of your carb isn't adjusted properly. Have you ever set up the idle jets after you bought this carb?

No its posta be pre adjusted i work on trucks and 4wd but never mesessed with boats or carbs How would i set the idle correctly