New boat with a few OMC questions

autotec

Seaman
Well after a year and a half rebuilding a pontoon, I decided I needed a little more speed. After a month and a half of searching, I finally bought a 88 Baja islander 180 with a OMC 350/Cobra outdrive. The boat is nice and dry, the original interior is in great shape and everything works so I'm not concerned with the actual boat. But my main question is with the engine and outdrive. What common things are a major problem with this combination that needs to be fixed or looked at?

I've had it out 2 times now. The first time was with a friend just to make sure it was safe, the second time was with the family. With my friend and I, it ran good and had the speed (52mph) I was looking for. The second time went good too, just had a few problems shifting between fwd and reverse. I'm doing a full tune up now and will look at the shift interrupter after everything is done. Anything else? I'll put a few pictures below because I know everyone likes pictures. Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• photo204758.jpg
    photo204758.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204759.jpg
    photo204759.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo204760.JPG
    photo204760.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Lower shift cable is the major problem with these. You may be facing that problem now if you are having issues shifting.

autotec

Seaman
Lower shift cable is the major problem with these. You may be facing that problem now if you are having issues shifting.

Good to know, I'll start researching the symptoms on that. Buying a used boat, I'm expecting a few problems. Thanks.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yes that year range cobra is bad, if not taken care of - -otherwise I loved mined especially changing impeller. There should be minimal to no drag between forward and reverse. Do not delay on this, could easily end up needing new complete sterndrive. Google 'omc shift probems' and you will understand. read this:

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
All years of dog clutch Cobras are the same exact design so they all had the problem.

autotec

Seaman
Joe, lots of good information there. It will give me a place to start to see if things are not right. 90% of the time, it shifts perfect. But it seems when I have to shift faster, that's when it will not come out of gear. (and that's when you really need it to shift) When it is finally out of gear, it goes in very easy. Fwd or reverse. All of the tune-up parts will be here on Fri, so I'll start checking the shifter cable over on sat.

Thanks again for the link.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you're welcome sir. I've not had the 'pleasure' of having to complete any of that as after my unit locked up, I just sold it - that's when I learned about all the issues with it.