OMC King Cobra-replace with Volvo or Mercruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA23

Cadet
Hi, I am looking at a 1993 Four Winns with a 454 King Cobra outdrive that is toast that is currently for sale. The boat sale price is discounted significantly however I am hearing that a replacement outdrive is not available, making the boat useless. I can't imagine that a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta could not match up to this engine but maybe not? I obviously need some answers before buying the boat. Anyone ever done a swap like this? Any help is appreciated!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi, I am looking at a 1993 Four Winns with a 454 King Cobra outdrive that is toast that is currently for sale. The boat sale price is discounted significantly however I am hearing that a replacement outdrive is not available, making the boat useless. I can't imagine that a Mercruiser or Volvo Penta could not match up to this engine but maybe not? I obviously need some answers before buying the boat. Anyone ever done a swap like this? Any help is appreciated!

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

That drive is VERY rare and rather unique. A couple of years later OMC and Volvo completed their joint project and came out with the OMC/Volvo SX drives. (I think 1995 model year [1994.5-ON]

The engine is NOT unique however, but if you want to switch to either a Mercruiser or Volvo (SX) drive, you'll have to change the transom mount....I don't think an SX would bolt up to that gimbal mount.

It might be possible to modify the gimbal mount to work with a Volvo SX-type drive but if the engine has the OMC Spitfire ignition or the OMC EFI system you'd want to completely remove all of it and replace with an aftermarket distributor and a carburetor. (parts for the Spitfire are also N/A)

I have a 1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator and I completely removed the OMC King Kobra 460 (+ older Dog-clutch drive) and replaced it with a complete 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L engine and Bravo III drive. You could likely do the same thing but you would need to get all the Mercruiser specific accessories to put on that engine + the ignition and carb if that one didn't have one and you'd need the Bravo gimbal mount.

If the boat is discounted significantly, consider what a new engine, gimbal and drive would cost. (around $24,000 in 2006 dollars) When I was doing my swap, I looked for a used Volvo Penta 454 + SX or DPS drive and found NONE. I did find several 5.7/7.4/8.1L Mercruiser Bravo I and III engines and drives Also, if you like to do any of your own work, look on EBAY for used and new parts at any given time and you'll find around 2-3 time MORE Mercruiser "stuff" than Volvo "stuff".

For that reason ,I would suggest Mercruiser.

Regards,

Rick

KA23

Cadet
Damn. That sounds complicated. I had one dealer tell me that I should get this boat for next to nothing for it to make sense. Bummer, as the hull and interior are in great shape and the risers and manifolds have been done. I guess I'll continue the hunt.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the SEI won't work then you need to check with the salvage yards to find a replacement.
Google marine salvage yards.
Like I said figure out the drive you have??? The original was a combo of OMC and Volvo technology.
The parts are out there.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Volvo didn't come into the picture until 1993 and the hybrid drives started coming out in 94 but not on all engine sizes.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
IF its really the cone clutch OMC Cobra that pre-dates the joint venture with Volvo, yes the boat would have to be next to free, for this to make sense. Because you can't convert to an SEI or a Volvo, as you can with the normal Cobras. To make this boat work, you'd have to do what Rick did, get a Merc Bravo transom mount, engine mounts, steering, trim system, wiring harness, exhaust etc. A pile 'o parts and a a donor boat would be the best way. If they want you to pay anything for this boat forget it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Damn. That sounds complicated. I had one dealer tell me that I should get this boat for next to nothing for it to make sense.

That's essentially true.

The engine would be worth something since it is a 454.......and you could use it with any Volvo or Mercruiser drive as long as you were able to get all the parts that you would need to bolt it to the respective drive......but all the OMC stuff would have to come out. You could probably sell all the usable OMC stuff piece by piece on ebay etc.

If the boat is nice and you can find a used Bravo drive and gimbal mount, (+ a bunch of other small parts to make it all happen......and you have a bunch of time on your hands) you might be able to make it all happen............

It might be easier to just find another boat though!

To make this boat work, you'd have to do what Rick did, get a Merc Bravo transom mount, engine mounts, steering, trim system, wiring harness, exhaust etc. A pile 'o parts and a a donor boat would be the best way.
I also REALLY "LUCKED-OUT" because I was able to recoup a LOT of money selling my dog-clutch King Cobra drive + all the other parts piece by piece over a 2 or 3 year period. All totaled, I got about $3500 selling everything.........$1450 for the drive + used manifolds, risers, trim pump and cyls alone!

Some of the parts for that "interim" cone-clutch drive might be rare and desirable to someone but you wouldn't know until you tried to sell the stuff.

It was a fun project but I wouldn't really want to do it again!

Last edited:

miike59

Recruit
I have a 1992 cone clutch king cobra(edit)

Last edited by a moderator:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So would a 95 colab mount to a 1991 set up? It should.....right?
It definitely will not.

You should start a new thread with your issue.

Just so you know, miike59 hasn't been on the forum for nearly 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.