1977 Starcraft 20' American I/O OMC Stringer

Supt C

Cadet
Have acquired 1977 starcraft 20' American I/O. Stored in barn since 1999. The out drive was stored in the up position. When engage switch to lower it only hear a thump. What is my next step? Does it have to be lowered in order to see if engine will turn over? Has a 302 ford w/ 2 barrel Holley carb. Wasn't winterized when stored. What should I check? When lowered, can I use plastic barrel filled with water to test? Can't find flush adapter so far. Where can I get a service manual? New to boating and understand that this is a project. Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Supt.

It would be better to have the drive down to start the engine (easier on the ball gears) but you could do it with the drive up if you keep the RPMs low. If the tilt motor is not working properly (which is probably the case) I would just support the drive, disconnect the tilt quadrant/gear and lower the drive by hand (reattach the gear).

Lowering the drive into a tub of water won't work. If this is an electric shift you'll need either hook a hose up to the fitting on the truing (if you have one) or fit the system with a connection up at the hoses. The drive needs to be completely submerged or you have to push water through the whole system.

Supt C

Cadet
Where is the tilt motor located and how to test it? Would like to make sure everything works properly.

southkogs

Staff member
Tilt motor is port side (passenger side) on the intermediate housing inside the transom. All the way back to the transom, down toward the bilge. it's held in place by two through bolts, and when you undo them, the whole motor housing can come apart, so be careful. There's a hammer coupling in there that is very important that you keep, and it'll want to jump down into your bilge so be ready for it.

do you have a manual?

Supt C

Cadet
Ok thanks. Will look for it. No, don't have a manual. Where can I get one?

southkogs

Staff member
Google 'em and get the true shop manuals (might be ebay) if you can. You'll really need a manual to help you work your way through these drives. That, and many techs won't tough 'em.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
outboardbooks.com is the source for a new oem manual. Usually about the same price as old dirty ones sell for on ebay

Supt C

Cadet
Thanks guys. Took tilt quadrant/gear off. Tilt motor spun forward and backwards. Replaced gear. Next step tried to turn engine by hand, on harmonic balance with spark plugs removed. Will turn only 5" or 6" either direction, then seems to bind tight enough that bolt on harmonic balance tightens or loosen direction dependent. Any ideas on what is causing this and possible solutions? All help is APPRECIATED!! THANKS!!

southkogs

Staff member
Yank the drive off the boat and then try rotating the engine again. If the upper gear case is locked up on your sterndrive, it'll hold you up from rotating the engine. Pulling the drive might eliminate a variable on the engine side.

Supt C

Cadet
Are electric wires only concern when removing drive, are there anything else that pass thru transom? Do you disconnect them inside boat and thread them back thru when replacing drive? Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
Well, everything is a concern when removing the drive ;)

Shift wires are the only thing that pass through the intermediate that you need to worry about on an electric shift. They disconnect inside the transom on the port side of the engine, and pass through the intermediate to the stern drive.

Supt C

Cadet
Removed stern drive. Finally got engine to rotate freely after putting transmission fluid mixed with a little kerosene in spark plug holes, working back and forth till started to rotate. When put stern drive back should the ball gear be mated to same teeth on gear? Three are perfectly round others have different degree of flatness. Should ball gear in stern drive turn by hand. if not what is next step? Model # 9902320 on plate on motor, only find service manuals on line for 99023E or 99023G. what does the letters mean? Are service manuals from outboardbooks.com good ones for new boaters? THANKS for your help!! Slowly but surely getting closer to ready for the water

southkogs

Staff member
When put stern drive back should the ball gear be mated to same teeth on gear?
Technically, "yes" by the manual. But, I've never done it and I've always heard it doesn't really matter much.

Should ball gear in stern drive turn by hand. if not what is next step?
If the upper gear case is separated from the lower gear case, the ball gear should turn (you might need a wrench to move it). If it's not then, no you probably can't move it by hand.

Model # 9902320 on plate on motor, only find service manuals on line for 99023E or 99023G. what does the letters mean?
Of themselves, I'm not sure what the numbers mean but the E & G numbers indicate you've got a 302 V8 with select trim. You can see some more here: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/stringer_models_77.htm

Are service manuals from outboardbooks.com good ones for new boaters?
Yes

Supt C

Cadet
1)Anyone know the difference in a "original Factory manuaul vs seervice manuaul offered by ken cook on outboardbooks.com?
2) With stern drive removed will it harm anything to fire engine for just a second to make sure it cranks before replacing drive?
3) is there anyway to check sterndrive for proper operation while still detached? Good impeller, etc. without taking it apart?
Thanks!!

southkogs

Staff member
1)Anyone know the difference in a "original Factory manuaul vs seervice manuaul offered by ken cook on outboardbooks.com?
I'm afraid that I don't know.

2) With stern drive removed will it harm anything to fire engine for just a second to make sure it cranks before replacing drive?
Nope.

3) is there anyway to check sterndrive for proper operation while still detached? Good impeller, etc. without taking it apart?
Thanks!!
In my opinion, not really. You probably need to change the impeller anyway. You don't need to crack into the gear cases, but I would change the lubes and put a new impeller on.

Supt C

Cadet
Couldn't upload photos. Said they're to large. There's a rubber hose that runs from the oil pan to a canister located inside motor housing, then from the canister to what looks like a sending unit of some kind. It says under pressure turn off ignition before opening. When opened there is thick grease like substance, couldn't determine how to remove insides that spins..Waiting on ordered manuals to arrive. Thanks!!