Effects of too much lube in Cobra Outdrive???

Joelk

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1988 Four Winns 210 Horion with 5.7L Engine and Cobra Outdrive.

The motor was not properly winterized and it had a cracked block when I bought it. I changed the block and took it out for a brief test run. It ran OK, but did not seem to have the power or top speed that I had anticipated.

The prior owner said that the Outdrive Lube had recently been changed and just checked before it was put away for the winter.

I (foolishly) did not check the Outdrive Lube before I took it out on the lake, but pulled the fill plug today and the lube ran out of the dipstick hole. Seemed like about a cup ran out. Obviously it was overfilled by quite a bit. Not really sure how it could have been as full as it was, but the lube kind of gushed out when I pulled the dipstick.

I only took a brief run, but I did run a few miles at low throttle and perhaps 30 seconds to a minute at full throttle just to see how fast it would go.

I drained the lube and it looked good, dark green(Merc High Performance?) and translucent with no signs of wear particles in the oil or on the drain/fill plug magnets.

Did I cause any damage by running it overfull? If so, what may have been damaged?

It did not perform as well as I had expected. Would this have had a significant effect on performance?

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Likely not an issue. The only worry would be is if it blew out a seal. Make sure when you fill it back up you do it properly by filling from the middle hole on the sterndrive and not from the bottom.

Joelk

Cadet
Thanks for the reply.

So you don't think it would have caused any noticeable performance decrease?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Its probably fine, the only time I had this happen was when one of the seals was bad and mine sucked in water. Just make sure to re-fill it the right way.

Joelk

Cadet
I am wondering if it could partially account for the performance being less than I expected.