1979 starcraft

bska

Cadet
Just purchased a 1979 starcraft deep v aluminum hull boat. 3.0l merc with omc outdrive. Few questions: what is max rpm boat should run at, prop recommendations(use for fishing), basic maintenance items ie. what needs to be greased, checked before hitting water? Boat has been sitting for year. Oil is new, fires right up, new fuel. I also noticed that when the outdrive is down its not 100% perpendicular with the boat, still slightly tilted up. Is this normal? Obviously I'm a first time boat buyer but I am mechanically inclined! Any help or input is appreciated....TIA

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
4400-4500.
The prop you use is the one that gets / lets you run at 4400-4500.
What's on there now.
Get a manual and study.
Not sure about the position of the drive. Post a pic. Maybe Howard Sterndrive can add something?

bska

Cadet
ok heres an update. the prop is a 14x16. boat takes off good and planes well but cant get WOT without over revving. so I hit the throttle down and once the boat planes I throttle up and maintain max 4500. not sure on mph, but feels like the boat has more but don't want to over rev. what would be the next step up/down in prop?

in regards to the outdrive: so it stopped working and got the clicking noise. I replace the solenoid and while on land the tilt worked great, up/down no prob. put the boat in the water tilt down, good to go. returned to dock and click, click, click...wtf?? managed to get boat out with some ground clearance as I trimmed up, had 4-6" clear. so it seems as the outdrive is binding, as my bros pulled up on the outdrive and I hit the switched it worked. did this a few times so we no the trick if we are in a pinch. but its a bit of PITA. ive been reading and searching on here, just trying to get some opinions on what it could be? clutch getting wet? your opinion is much appreciated. thanks Brian

bska

Cadet
note: the outdrive is now going all the way down. boat sat for a while, but that issue seems to have gone.