Problem with 2.3l Ford Cobra

BrianN

Cadet
Hi all, new to the forum, and first time boat buyer.
I recently bought a Bayliner Capri with a 2.3l Ford Cobra inboard. Well, every thing but paid for it.
When we went to view it last weekend, we told him that we would pick it up Wednesday as he was going to put some bearing buddies on the trailer, and do some other seasonal work to it before he let us have it.
Turns out, he decided to take it to the lake to do some last minute testing and make sure everything was running as it should be.
When he got out, it started up fine, idled, ran at 1/4 throttle and very well at 1/2 throttle. But, when he got it up to around 4000rpm, it started to stutter and spit (as he put it :joyous:)
He then replaced the carb, thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't. He was able to get it up to 4600rpm before this problem started though.
So now, he and his mechanic are working on it, trying to get it running properly before I go and get it on Saturday.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing it to sputter at around 4600rpm?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem with 2.3l Ford Cobra

Hi all, new to the forum, and first time boat buyer.
I recently bought a Bayliner Capri with a 2.3l Ford Cobra inboard. Well, every thing but paid for it.
When we went to view it last weekend, we told him that we would pick it up Wednesday as he was going to put some bearing buddies on the trailer, and do some other seasonal work to it before he let us have it.
Turns out, he decided to take it to the lake to do some last minute testing and make sure everything was running as it should be.
When he got out, it started up fine, idled, ran at 1/4 throttle and very well at 1/2 throttle. But, when he got it up to around 4000rpm, it started to stutter and spit (as he put it :joyous:)
He then replaced the carb, thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't. He was able to get it up to 4600rpm before this problem started though.
So now, he and his mechanic are working on it, trying to get it running properly before I go and get it on Saturday.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing it to sputter at around 4600rpm?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Brian

Howdy Brian,

Welcome Aboard!

Well...there's many things that can cause high RPM(loaded) "stutter and spit"

Aside from the fact that OMC is out of business (1998) and many parts (especially for that 2.3L) are hard to find (to impossible to find) I would want everything running perfectly before I would pay anything for it.

My 'gut' feeling though would be to keep looking for a boat that doesn't include the letters "OMC" anyplace in the description.

Mercruiser or Volvo (1995 or newer) come to mind.....

AND, if you must buy a boat with a Cobra on the back, find one with a more supportable engine. Like a 3.0L, 4.3L, or 5.7 GM engine.

Avoid ANY older boat with a FORD engine (2.3L, 5.0L, 5.8L, & 7.5L)........ wear parts for them are getting harder and harder to find.

Avoid ANY OMC Cobra cone clutch drive from 1990 to about 1995 or so unless it has "SX" in the description......

And lastly, avoid any boat with the letters "OMC" in the description..............

Oh.......wait a min........already said that.......

Cheers,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

Howdy Brian,

Welcome Aboard!

Well...there's many things that can cause high RPM(loaded) "stutter and spit"

Aside from the fact that OMC is out of business (1998) and many parts (especially for that 2.3L) are hard to find (to impossible to find) I would want everything running perfectly before I would pay anything for it.

My 'gut' feeling though would be to keep looking for a boat that doesn't include the letters "OMC" anyplace in the description.

Mercruiser or Volvo (1995 or newer) come to mind.....

AND, if you must buy a boat with a Cobra on the back, find one with a more supportable engine. Like a 3.0L, 4.3L, or 5.7 GM engine.

Avoid ANY older boat with a FORD engine (2.3L, 5.0L, 5.8L, & 7.5L)........ wear parts for them are getting harder and harder to find.

Avoid ANY OMC Cobra cone clutch drive from 1990 to about 1995 or so unless it has "SX" in the description......

And lastly, avoid any boat with the letters "OMC" in the description..............

Oh.......wait a min........already said that.......

Cheers,

Rick

Ayuh,..... I Completely Agree with Rick,.... Why buy a sick boat,..?? Keep on Lookin',.....

'n add the Mercruiser 470 motor to the "Don't buy it" list,....

BrianN

Cadet

Darn. Really not what I wanted to hear. We really liked that boat, and, there are not alot around here, in any where as nice as shape as that.
Most that I have looked at are run down and not really nice inside.
Can I ask about a 1995 Malibu 16. 125hp Force outboard on this thread, or, should I start a new thread?
Like I have said, there is not a lot for sale around here, in any decent shape.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

125hp Force outboard on this thread, or, should I start a new thread?
Um....well this is an I/O forum.......but if I remember right, Force is right up there with the other stuff you usually avoid.......

Think of it this way, if they don't want much for the boat, it seems like a really "swing'n" deal, or it's "FREE", there's probably a pretty good reason.......

Good luck!

Rick