1987 5.0l OMC Cobra Cracked Block

WinnerCobra

Cadet
Alright so i have recently discovered both side of my block just below the exhaust is cracked. the previous owner had used an epoxy/JB weld to fix it. No water in oil seems to just be spraying water. What is the best epoxy or sealant to use to just seal the crack to prevent water from leaving the block? Im aware that it will just keep getting worse im just looking for a temp fix for this year and then will go about the replacing of the block this winter. Any useful hints/suggestions would be awesome.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1987 5.0l OMC Cobra Cracked Block

Alright so i have recently discovered both side of my block just below the exhaust is cracked. the previous owner had used an epoxy/JB weld to fix it. No water in oil seems to just be spraying water. What is the best epoxy or sealant to use to just seal the crack to prevent water from leaving the block? Im aware that it will just keep getting worse im just looking for a temp fix for this year and then will go about the replacing of the block this winter. Any useful hints/suggestions would be awesome.

I take it the engine is an open water system, not closed. If this is the case there is very little internal pressure. Suggest grind the epoxy out and grind out a vee grove in the crack. Don't go real deep, just make sure it is real clean, wipe down with acetone. Then mix up some JB weld and patch it again. The first patch was probably not properly prepped. Like any other paint/patch job, prep work is the most important.

Bondo

Staff member

I take it the engine is an open water system, not closed. If this is the case there is very little internal pressure. Suggest grind the epoxy out and grind out a vee grove in the crack. Don't go real deep, just make sure it is real clean, wipe down with acetone. Then mix up some JB weld and patch it again. The first patch was probably not properly prepped. Like any other paint/patch job, prep work is the most important.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... Take the manifolds Off, 'n get 'em outa the way,...

Then crawl in there with a 4" grinder, 'n a flap wheel to prep the block for epoxy,....

WinnerCobra

Cadet

So just stick with good ol' JB weld? Sounds good to me. Looks like i got some work to do after work lol