Where to check Trim/Tilt Fluid 4.3 omc/cobra out drive

Walleye Dan

Cadet
Have very thick slimey substance in bilge below engine. Outdrive oil is full as is engine oil and p.s. fluid. Fluid is as clear as water but very thick. Bellows just professionally replaced and once again outdrive oil shows still full. There was a significant amount of this substance that leaked from somewhere. (Came out the drain plug onto a concrete floor from the bilge, about an 18 inch circle.) Does it sound possibly like hydraulic fluid and where do I check the level.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to check Trim/Tilt Fluid 4.3 omc/cobra out drive

Hi Rick,

Would you happen to have a link to the 64-86 OMC manual? I've been looking but can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

I don't think they have manual for earlier drives at that site.

The original poster was asking for a Cobra. The OMC (dog-clutch) Cobra is 1987 through approx 1994 or so......

If you have a Cobra, it's 1987 (model year) or newer. If you have an 86 model. It's a Stringer.

You would be better off starting a new thread instead of tagging on to (or hijacking) someone elses thread.

You'll get more responses that way.

Regards,

Rick

Last edited:

MRS

Commander

It can be a cobra if it is a 86 I have a 86 cobra...

MRS

Commander

Howdy,

There's a fill plug (blade type screwdriver usually) on the side of the pump. You fill it until fluid pours out.

Have a look at the following link.
Boatinfo - OMC 1986-1998 Service Manual

Regards,

Rick

It is a 86 even your post for the manual is 1986-1998 just do not want to confuse others with a 86 cobra not trying to argue.

Honest I have a factory 86 manual.

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check the tilt /trim fluid level at the tilt trim pump. I have an 87 Wellcraft with a 4.3 OMC. My tilt.trim pump is mounted on the transom port side pretty high. There are braided stainless hoses running to it. Raise the out drive all the way to check the fluid level.

Put on safety glasses first (hydraulic fluid in the eye is no fun)

Remove the approx 1/2 inch screw. It takes a large flat tip screw driver. To add fluid I use a clear hose with a plastic filling on the end that just fits into the fill port on the pump. I have a clean funnel on the other end of the hose. Pure in the fluid and watch it fill the reservior. Do it slowly. If you overfill you will make a mess.

When the fluid starts flowing out of the fill hole stop.

Replace the screw ( not too tight)

Cycle the trim up and down 5 times to purge air.

Check again.