OMC Cobra 4.3l Holley carburetor electric choke question

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice
I have a the OMC Cobra 4.3l (HO I believe) and it has the holley carburetor with electric choke, I was looking over the engine and noticed I have no Positive wire going to the connector, only the negative is hooked up. Is this an issue that will cause the choke to not disengage? Also if it is possible i would like to hook this up to the battery through a wire with fuse on it, and does this need to be attached to the ignition at all?

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC Cobra 4.3l Holley carburetor electric choke question

I have looked in the manual at the wiring diagrams and also the carburetor part it says there is a white and purple wire to hook in but i do not see that wire and where the other end of that wire connects. Any help would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Post a picture of what ya got,....

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Bondo,

Here is the picture of the 4.3l Cobra HO carburetor's electric choke,

IMG_20140513_183040_142.jpg

I need to run the Positive wire to a keyed power but i have heard not to run to the alternator, Coil, or starter. Basically what i need to know is either where OMC originally ran this wire or another place i can get power without effecting any of the vital parts. I can run to the fuse panel but I did notice when testing power on the fuse panel that it is a constant 12v on all fuses...

Last edited:

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Also if i can add it would be nice to be able to run it to a power location where it will not effect me listening to the radio with just accessory on.

MikDee

Banned

Maybe you can run a wire from the small terminal on the back left side of the starter solenoid? It is the R- terminal (I believe it means "Run") and has an ignition switched full 12volts. If you have an "ACC." position on the key switch, I think that's on a separate line.

This is all speculation, you'll have to take a meter, and check to verify all this. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Starter Solenoid wiring.jpg
    Starter Solenoid wiring.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much Mik, i will have to try that tomorrow evening, hopefully that is the answer to being able to run my radio also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The original wire ran from the alternator. Original alternator had a AC tap that the wire connected to.

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you bruce! i have been searching the internet all night trying to find original spot for this wire... i have a couple questions if you may know the answer, do you know which connector is the AC tap and do i have to run a wire with a fuse in it? again thank you

wrench 3

Commander

Maybe you can run a wire from the small terminal on the back left side of the starter solenoid? It is the R- terminal (I believe it means "Run") and has an ignition switched full 12volts. If you have an "ACC." position on the key switch, I think that's on a separate line.

This is all speculation, you'll have to take a meter, and check to verify all this. Hope this helps.

The "R" stands for resistor. It's only live when the starter is cranking.

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all again very much, I looked at my manual a few times and never thought to look at the charging system part for my carburetor...anyway on page 135 of the manual it shows the wire diagram for the charging system and on the alternator there is an AC tap there is a hook up for the choke.

MikDee

Banned

The "R" stands for resistor. It's only live when the starter is cranking.

The "S" terminal is for Start/Crank to the coil Pos. + and only hot in that position of the key. I was hoping the "R" was for "RUN", (but not sure?) Because there already is a Resistor wire going to coil POS.+ coming from the Run position on the key.

That's why I said to check it all with a meter.

sam60

Captain

Anyone else think it would be a good idea for Kyle to build his signature with his boat manufacturer, year and engine tag info and maybe even show his location?

wrench 3

Commander

The "S" terminal is for Start/Crank to the coil Pos. + and only hot in that position of the key. I was hoping the "R" was for "RUN", (but not sure?) Because there already is a Resistor wire going to coil POS.+ coming from the Run position on the key.

That's why I said to check it all with a meter.

Sorry! Maybe I should have been more specific. It's actually R for resister bypass for starting.

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Thats ok Mik, thank you for helping me out, i really appreciate it! Yes Sam i can try to make a signature here. I do plan to be on this site often not just for questions but as soon as i get more familiar with my boat hopefully help some people out.