Stringer 800 Tilt Binding on Tru Course Steering Gear

Mkongsiri

Seaman Apprentice
I'm reattaching my upper gearcase to the intermediate housing and testing the tilt function. The unit keeps binding at full up position. It appears the issue is not enough clearance between the steering gear from the intermediate and the steering worm gear on the upper gearcase. When the unit is raised, it jams those 2 gears together. I have to loosen the trunion cap bearings to give enough clearance to unjam the upper gearcase. I've moved the steering shaft mounting bracket on the intermediate as far back as possible already but it doesn't seem to be providing enough clearance. Anyone have this experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Stringer 800 Tilt Binding on Tru Course Steering Gear

Something is not together correctly.

Mkongsiri

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stringer 800 Tilt Binding on Tru Course Steering Gear

In case anyone happens upon this thread at some point later, I figured it out. The upper exhaust cover must also be on the upper gearcase. There's a rubber bump stop on the back that limits the tilt travel. Works fine now (at least till the clutch pack retainer circlip popped out requiring another trip to the machine shop and new circlip).