OMC 2.3L Cooling Systems Help Needed!!

89Cuddie

Cadet
I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with the 2.3L OMC Cobra. Where to start. The impeller wore down on me about 2 years or so ago. So the boat overheated while out on the lake. Got her home just fine. I replaced the Impeller and all gaskets and seal related. Since the Impeller burnt up i had to take apart the thermostat housing to clean all the little pieces out. Was successful on that job. I went ahead and replaced the thermostat, Cork washer and the gasket since i had it all apart. Might as well right? Anyways To test her out and make sure all is in working condition i hooked up the Muffs( high pressure water) I have a well water system. Anyways to the point the boat is overheating now. And i know for a fact that water is not circulating correctly. I know water is suppose to discharge out of the exhaust dow pipe under the stern as well as from the propeller. Neither locations are discharging water. I am kind of stuck on where the blockage could be located. All of the hoses that i can access are free of debris. Maybe on the Main input on the side behind the Prop?? If so what the easiest way to find out? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks Everyone.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC 2.3L Cooling Systems Help Needed!!

Did you check your power steering cooler?

nedc

Cadet

check that you don't have the two hoses on top of the exhaust (near the thermostat) reversed. I did this after rebuilding the engine and the engine ran too hot- switched them and all was well.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

An 89.It's 25 and the riser could be clogged?
Not sure if the manifold is available.
But the riser is.

heavylefty

Recruit
OMC I/Os do not like muffs... water pressure is irrelevant. The muffs only provide pressure to a point. Install a flush kit and connect your garden hose to the 5/8 line going to the thermostat inside the boat. Then do your testing

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OMC I/Os do not like muffs... water pressure is irrelevant. The muffs only provide pressure to a point. Install a flush kit and connect your garden hose to the 5/8 line going to the thermostat inside the boat. Then do your testing
Just don't start your engine doing that or you will really burn up the impeller.

I have never had a problem using muffs on a Cobra.

heavylefty, I noticed you are new. Make sure you look at the dates of the threads you post to. This one is nearly 2 months old and the original poster hasn't been on in a month.

Last edited: