OMC Stern drive

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice
We sold our BR and bought a cabin cuddy. I noticed that the stern drive had water shooting out of the side from a hole. I looked at it the best i could and didnt notice any threds or any sign that a bolt had broke. The boat that we sold had the same motor and outdrive and it didnt do that. Is this normal?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Stern drive

Can you post a pic of where it's shooting out from?

Sounds like its coming from the useless bolt that isn't ever supposed to be removed. If that's the case you are going to have to remove the drive and split the upper and lower to get it out if it's still in there. It's not that bad of a job depending on if corrosion is an issue.

I'm on my iPhone so I don't have a pic of it to post here but it's on the side of the upper and usually covered by a Cobra tag.

Last edited:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You dont have to split the drive. Just remove it to get to the pieces the fell down into the water cavity. But I wouldnt be using the boat till it is fixed, it may not be getting enough water.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

If i pull the drive can you get to the parts without all the shaking and tipping?

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

I recently purchased a boat with the OMC Cobra 4.3l sterndrive. My outdrive was also missing this plug i went to the local marine shop and the guy said he has seen this before and he has put a small livewell plug into this hole and worked fine. I took his advice and put one in my upper gear case. So far the engine has been running good and cool. Not sure if this will cause any issues but it was a lot easier than taking the whole outdrive off to fish out the piece that fell into the system.

Maclin

Admiral

My neighbor removed that plug in his new-to-him boat before I got to him, he had a livewell plug rolling around in the boat for some reason and he used it to plug it. So far so good, 2 seasons. He also revs it to full redline on the muffs just to hear it run, does not drain when he puts in antifreeze, rusty pulleys, cracked belts, automotive HEI, bent up prop, still going. Some people must have a luck genie following them around :)

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

My neighbor removed that plug in his new-to-him boat before I got to him, he had a livewell plug rolling around in the boat for some reason and he used it to plug it. So far so good, 2 seasons. He also revs it to full redline on the muffs just to hear it run, does not drain when he puts in antifreeze, rusty pulleys, cracked belts, automotive HEI, bent up prop, still going. Some people must have a luck genie following them around :)

Tell me about it. Yesterday I saw a boat about 30 feet hauling butt with four small children about 5 - 8 years old sitting on the bow with they're legs dangling over the side holding onto the rail. Two on each side right up by the bow. The guy must have been doing 45 or 50.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

I got it. I pulled the drive off and pluged that hole. Im glad i did because the idiot who put it back on didnt put a gasket back on. WOW... but i got it back together and done. I found it easer to put it in drive and use the prop to giggle the shaft to realine the splines. Thank for all the help on all the stuff i have posted.

kylep123

Seaman Apprentice

Glad to hear you got your plug back in! I have been thinking i also would like to dig out the plate from mine, the only problem I have is I have no idea where to find the screw or gasket to put back in. Does anyone know a good site or breakdown of this so I can order or at least find the part number? I have checked all over online but can not find that plug.

MikDee

Banned

Tell me about it. Yesterday I saw a boat about 30 feet hauling butt with four small children about 5 - 8 years old sitting on the bow with they're legs dangling over the side holding onto the rail. Two on each side right up by the bow. The guy must have been doing 45 or 50.

I've seen stuff like that before, it gives me the Willy's! :eek:

What are they thinking!? :rolleyes:

braxtonsdaddy81

Recruit
I was on the river this past weekend and hit a submerged tree, in the middle of the effin Missouri river no less. I immediately killed the motor at the key and it would not go in to neutral to restart. Luckily I got a tow and got it on the trailer. Once on the trailer I see that there is a 2" diameter hole punched in the lower stern drive. I don't have an issue bolting on a new lower but why would it be stuck in neutral? Is it because of the shift cable in the lower possibly getting damaged? Is it worth the money to try wrenching on it? Boat is a 1996 Marada with 4.3 OMC CObra in it.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Braxtonsdaddy.

It's bad form to hijack a topic ... and honestly, you'll get better advice and help if you start a new topic. I'm not sure of the shift on a Cobra, but I think you have a mechanical link as well as an ESA. Either or could have been damaged by a hit like that. With a hole in the drive, goodness knows what happened to the shaft and gears inside.

Put a few photos up if you can too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should start your own thread. This one is nearly a year old.