Leaking FluidOMC 4.3 / Cobra Outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walleye Dan

Cadet
My 1989 Sunbird 4.3 / Cobra outdrive is at the canvas shop getting a mooring cover. I decided to install freshly charged batteries today. While there I noticed a 15 inch diameter wet spot under the drain plug. The boat is on a trailer and the bow is higher than normal so I figured at first it was just water coming from the bilge. Upon further inspection i discovered the fluid was clear, somewhat thick and slimey. I smelled it and recognized nothing. I check the engine oil and power steering fluid. Both fine. I could check nothing else because the shop was closing. That obviously leaves only the outdrive oil. I will check the drive oil level tomorrow providing I can lower the drive enough to check it. I've had a couple of boats but this is my first I/O. My question is what would be the most obvious cause of an outdrive oil leak in an area near the stern with the drive tilted near full up. Just to add...I believe I detected some of the same fluid in the bilge under the engine. Could the trim pump leak fluid into this area and is it possible to raise the drive to high.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Leaking FluidOMC 4.3 / Cobra Outdrive

My question is what would be the most obvious cause of an outdrive oil leak in an area near the stern with the drive tilted near full up.

More than likely the seals are bad. It should be drained,then a proper pressure/vacume test done to determine where the issue is.

Extremeaudio

Cadet
My guess would be one of the trim/tilt pistons is leaking, or one of the hoses leading to it is leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.