Bayliner Capri 1600 CF engine problem

Dangvudan

Cadet
Bayliner2.jpgPlease help. Last weekend, my Bayliner 88 took on lots of water through the engine compartment due to a loose cap which sits below the air filter. I got the water removed and the cap put back on tightened it. Started the engine with the earmuff connected. It seems the engine is running hot after 5 minutes as water is vaporizing from the cooling system. I could see boiling water and bubbling on the bolts on top of the cooling part where the OMG logo is located. Is this going to be a serious problem with the engine as it may get overheat? Any idea what the problem is? thank you.

Dan

Attachments

• Bayliner.jpg
    Bayliner.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Bayliner Capri 1600 CF engine problem

Could you post a couple of pics of the cap and the area around it? That would help. I would have to guess if it is a homemade flushing port or a closed cooling systems "radiator" cap.

Some questions for you...

1.) Was the boat being run when all the water came in? So it could have overheated during that time? Or can water come in there by just being in the water?

2.) Is this the first time you have run this boat? If so did you get any instructions from the previous owner or mechanic as to what state any winterization effort the boat was left in?

3.) Continuing with previous owner's work, do you know how that cap got left off?

Last edited:

Dangvudan

Cadet

Could you post a couple of pics of the cap and the area around it? That would help. I would have to guess if it is a homemade flushing port or a closed cooling systems "radiator" cap.
Dan: No I do not think it is a homemade flushing port because it is not a closed cooling system. Water is sucked in from the impeller to cool off the engine and get flushed out. As soon as I get home I will take a picture and post it out. Pls see my inline ans below. Thanks,

Some questions for you...

1.) Was the boat being run when all the water came in? So it could have overheated during that time? Or can water come in there by just being in the water?

Dan:Yes, it was running in the lake. After I put the boat back on the trailer and drained the water, I restarted the engine with ear muffs connected, then noticed the engine overheat.

2.) Is this the first time you have run this boat? If so did you get any instructions from the previous owner or mechanic as to what state any winterization effort the boat was left in?

Dan: I've had the boat since last summer and had it winterized with antifreeze, new oil change. Overall I have not had much luck with the boat as I spent quite a bit of money on past repairs. Now I am looking for ways to fix it myself it possible.

3.) Continuing with previous owner's work, do you know how that cap got left off?

Dan: I guess the cap was loose and the boat vibrations pushed it off.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 231090Please help. Last weekend, my Bayliner 88 took on lots of water through the engine compartment due to a loose cap which sits below the air filter. I got the water removed and the cap put back on tightened it. Started the engine with the earmuff connected. It seems the engine is running hot after 5 minutes as water is vaporizing from the cooling system. I could see boiling water and bubbling on the bolts on top of the cooling part where the OMG logo is located. Is this going to be a serious problem with the engine as it may get overheat? Any idea what the problem is? thank you.

Dan

Cap must be on during the boat engine running...

Maclin

Admiral

That cap looks like it is capping off an unused heater-hose port or similar, maybe the engne water circulating pump was replaced and an automotive type unit was used, or it could be stock like that. In any case, and as Bullbash mentioned, it has to remain tightly capped off at all times.

Regarding hot water coming out on the top of the riser, that is hard for me to figure out how water came out anywhere up there. The water may have spewed out onto the top of it and then boiled off as you watched. There is a large rubber exhaust hose off the back of that connecting the exhaust to the downpipe connected to the outdrive, and if it gets hot enough with no water flow coming from the engine then the unchecked raw engine exhaust gases will soon melt it, but in order for that to happen there would be no water to come out the rubber hose leak. And it is well behind where you circled the spot that hot water came out.

Maclin

Admiral

Is this a new boat to you, and did this happen on your first time out with this boat?

Dangvudan

Cadet

First of all, thank you for all the helpful ideas.

The boiling water actually came off of the 2 bolts where I have them circled in the picture. I think it will need to run more testing with the muffs on to see if it still gets overheat. May need to test it out in the lake as well.

I got the boat last year and keep having problems with it. Another problem with the boat is that every time the gear is shifted from neutral to forward or reverse, the engine is really hesitant to get going. Sometimes it stalls and sometimes it works. I was told it is a problem with the lower shift cable similar to some of issues reported in other forum threads. The technician quoted me over $500 to replace the cable. Could you give advice if it is a big job or something not too difficult. I am thinking of working on it myself if it is not too difficult.

Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not saying you don't have a bad shift cable but it will have nothing to do with hesitation. That is a fuel/carb issue.

As far as your overheating is concerned, have you replaced the raw water impeller?

Dangvudan

Cadet

Thanks again. The temperature is hovering around 175 after 10 mins running the engine with water connection via earmuffs. Still have problem with changing gears from neutral to F or R. I remember the technician told me about shift cable problem. Any idea?

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks again. The temperature is hovering around 175 after 10 mins running the engine with water connection via earmuffs. Still have problem with changing gears from neutral to F or R. I remember the technician told me about shift cable problem. Any idea?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya need to change the Impeller,...

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The hesitation you are having very well be the lower shift cable. It the cable is stiff or out of adjustment it could be activating the ESA.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Once you complete the shift, the overstroke switch prevents the ESA from doing anything after that so the ESA should be out of the equation assuming the switch is operating properly. To test that the ESA is the issue, just unplug the ESA and try. Of course, with the ESA unplugged you may have to turn off the engine to get it out of gear so just do that for a test and then plug it back in when you are done.