20 ft Pacemaker with OMC 3.o lt Cobra Sterndrive for FREE

Bigdubya

Cadet
I have got hold of a 20 ft boat with a 3.0 lt OMC Cobra stern drive in it for free, well it cost 2 cases of beer. It was all running last time it was used, around 3 years ago. No water in the motor none in the outdrive as far as I can tell so far. Now I'm under no illusion, I work on boats for a living. This is a restoration. I figure I will have to do a fair bit of work on the out drive to make sure it's water tight. Seals, water pump ect. Might even have to rebuild the thing. I'm not familiar with these outdrives. I will do the work myself. Any hints out there. I'm in Australia where to get parts book's ect.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 20 ft Pacemaker with OMC 3.o lt Cobra Sterndrive for FREE

I have got hold of a 20 ft boat with a 3.0 lt OMC Cobra stern drive in it for free, well it cost 2 cases of beer. It was all running last time it was used, around 3 years ago. No water in the motor none in the outdrive as far as I can tell so far. Now I'm under no illusion, I work on boats for a living. This is a restoration. I figure I will have to do a fair bit of work on the out drive to make sure it's water tight. Seals, water pump ect. Might even have to rebuild the thing. I'm not familiar with these outdrives. I will do the work myself. Any hints out there. I'm in Australia where to get parts book's ect.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... 'bout what Vintage is this Cobra,..??

They went through a few incarnations,...

Bigdubya

Cadet

I far as I can tell 1990, the IDs on the engine can not be read. On the drive there is a model No 986321, ER 3.0 l ER No T0711772. Thats all the numbers I can get these are of an ID plate on the left hand side of the drive.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

They are not hard to work on. In fact the bellows and the water pump in the drive are much easier to change than a Mercruiser Alpha. The major thing is learning how to replace and adjust the shift cable. Parts, most you can get from any Evinrude dealer through BRP. Anything they don't have because its NLA, you can get most from Sierra. The 3.0 carb engine has the plain garden variety Cobra that is pretty easy to get parts for. Once you get the shift cable set up right they shift very well for a dog clutch drive.

Bigdubya

Cadet

They are not hard to work on. In fact the bellows and the water pump in the drive are much easier to change than a Mercruiser Alpha. The major thing is learning how to replace and adjust the shift cable. Parts, most you can get from any Evinrude dealer through BRP. Anything they don't have because its NLA, you can get most from Sierra. The 3.0 carb engine has the plain garden variety Cobra that is pretty easy to get parts for. Once you get the shift cable set up right they shift very well for a dog clutch drive.

What would you recommend I did with the stern drive. I was thinking Lower and upper seal kits, water pump kit, new cable and new bellows.
I thought I found a good site for parts, wholesale marine but they don't ship to Australia. Thank you for any help

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What would you recommend I did with the stern drive. I was thinking Lower and upper seal kits, water pump kit, new cable and new bellows.
I thought I found a good site for parts, wholesale marine but they don't ship to Australia. Thank you for any help

Howdy,

I would replace the raw water pump and lower shift cable only if they were "bad".

Pressure and vacuum check the drive. If it will hold pressure and vacuum, don't "fix' it. It may not be broke.

I do suggest that you get an OEM service manual for that model year Cobra. There were some differences......

Regards,

Rick

Bigdubya

Cadet

Vacuum test ? How would you carry out this with out a vac pump

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Rick, change the water pump, and check the shift cable for 2 or less lbs of drag, make sure the adjustment is correct.
You can find most of the information you need and some of the special tools that make the job easier at

Midnight Wolf Sales - OMC Tools

There are instructions and an OMC tech bulletin that makes the adjustment easier to understand. Also for these to shift right the ESA must be working and you want the engine in a good enough state of tune for the idle to be 500-600 in gear in the water.

You will have the drive off so check the bellows, replace if needed and make sure the gimble bearing turns smoothly if not replace.

When you change the drive oil replace the 3 fiber gaskets (one big one on the top dipstick hole and the 2 smaller ones on the drain and fill hole). MAKE SURE you follow the proper procedure for filling the drive, or else!

Articles & Instruction - Crowley Marine

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Like Lou said the drive oil when refilled it has to be done the RIGHT way.
Seloc and Clymer both sell an aftermarket manual.
They cover a lot of different motors but touch on a lot of important things.
The factory manual can be bought at/through most book stores.
These are easy to maintain once you understand/read about them.
Fill out the profile. Location?
You might be close to someone who can help?

Bigdubya

Cadet

Thank you all very much for your input. I'm away at work for 3 more weeks. When I get back I'm in to it. I might even post some pics and up dates. I'm sure I will be on here quite a bit sourcing the expertise I will need.