King Cobra Water Pump conversion to Crank mt Pump questions for the experts

jmz

Cadet
Hello all,

I'm going to convert the King Cobra to a crank mounted pump. I have some questions about what I can remove in the way of the old water pump. Obviously I won't run the impeller but can I take out the water pump adapter too? What else can I remove? I even thought about welding up the case of the drive where the old water pump adapter shaft came out.
Here is the schematic -what can I remove? and below is the water pump that I'm installing.

water pump diagram.JPG

water pump.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: King Cobra Water Pump conversion to Crank mt Pump questions for the experts

Howdy,

Yeah. you have the "King" Kobra that uses the "non-obtanium" impeller?

I would start with just removing the impeller and just running it.

Look carefully to ensuring that you get enough raw water flow through the drive. It's been done and some people used thru-hull water pickups to improve flow. I don't think you 'need' to have water flow though the drive, but if I was using a thru-hull pickup, I would want to monitor drive oil temp (by just checking the drive by hand after a hard run) to see if the drive gets too hot.

If it's a big boat, I would start obtaining parts (now) to repower the boat using the excellent Volvo DP-S/etc drive.

If it's a 7.5L engine, I feel for you! (I had one of those in my current boat!)

Cheers,

Rick

jmz

Cadet

Going with a transom mount pickup. This boat is a Donzi 22 classic. I have two good impellers that I will be putting up for sale...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take out the impeller and run it.
When they would change them at the dealer I worked at.
They'd just install the new pump and start the motor and burn up the impeller.
Not smart but that's what they did.
You don't need to do anything with the adaptor there's a seal into the drive that needs to be there.