1983 OMC 2.5 Coil questions

Nicatnight70

Recruit
on my 1983 OMC 2.5,the two terminals on coil one is Bat, what is the other?? it comes from Dist.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1983 OMC 2.5 Coil questions

That wire goes from the coil "-" terminal to one end of the breaker points inside the distributor. Coils have a primary winding and a secondary winding like a transformer. The secondary has lots more windings than the primary. The points make and break contact as the distributor shaft turns, each time they make contact the coil is grounded and the Primary winding receives voltage and builds a magnetic field, and when the points break the magnetic field collapses across the Secondary windings and produces a momentary high voltage charge. This high voltage is at the coil tower connection and then routed to a spark plug via the distributor cap and rotor. This high voltage arcs across the spark plug gap inside the engine and provides the energy required to light off the fuel-air mix.

This is why it is important to have a good points set and have the gap and subsequent dwell checked/adjusted during a tuneup.

If the distributor is electronic the same principles apply except the make-break triggering is handled with electronic sensor and circuitry.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

Oh, shucks, what happend to my manners,

Welcome !

Nicatnight70

Recruit

Thank you for the info, I replaced the points and condenser, but I still was not getting fire from my coil. Test voltage with Prower probe, and it said I only has 4.5 volts on Bat side of coil.
We'll come to find out I pinched the condenser wire in between cap and disturber. Fix that and boat fired right up like always.
Thank you for info.