Oil Leak on OMC Cobra

schmitty66

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

1994-3.0 OMC Cobra
Last season i checked the oil in the lower unit and it looked good...not milky. I winterized the motor as in previous years and when i visited the cottage last weekend i found a puddle of clear oil under my lower drive. I felt around and found no cracks. The only spot i can see wet is on the back around the silver horseshoe(sorry not sure what it's called-see pic). Is there any spot right above that area that could have leaked? I'll pressure test it next visit in June but i was curious as to what i may be in for. The entire lower/upper was rebuilt 4 years ago.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

• IMG-20140418-00653.jpg
    IMG-20140418-00653.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Leak on OMC Cobra

I can't think of any place that gear oil would leak near anode. Could it be trim fluid?

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You described clear oil. What color is the gear oil?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod goes into the cover Just behind the anode. It could be the gasket for the cover or the shift rod seal.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod goes into the cover Just behind the anode. It could be the gasket for the cover or the shift rod seal.
Yeah, you are right. Could also be where upper and lower mate up as well.

Since this is a 94, we also need to know if this is a regular cone clutch Cobra or an SX Cobra so need the model number.

EDIT: It is actually going to be a regular Cobra because of the middle fill plug I see in the picture.

That is actually a 93 drive.

Last edited:

schmitty66

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the responses. the oil is clear on the concrete floor(probably a 1/2 liter) with a couple of quarter size red spots.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

IF you can get it, the OMC shop manual. Look on ebay, there was someone selling re-prints.

schmitty66

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry for the dumb question...is there 2 separate manuals(engine and sterndrive) or just one?