Leak into bilge from transom - OMC Cobra/Four Winns Freedom 1994

hlurry87

Cadet
First time boat owners here. Recently was handed a very well maintained 1994 Four Winns Freedom 170 I/O. Took it out, ran great.

Until... we ran into a log. Hard. The boat did not really react/change speeds/show any immediate signs of distress, but of course we immediately stopped to see what happened. Nothing was obviously detectible, so we began slowly (and relatively unconcerned) heading back to the dock ... About 25 minutes into it, the boat seemed to be hesitating... we popped open the engine compartment and the bilge was full of water as was the ski cubby. Seemed to be a relatively rapid intake of water, though we didn't know from where, but to be that full in such a relatively short amount of time was frightening. We immediately turned on the bilge, went straight to the dock and immediately used a gas pump to remove the water/keep it out until we could get to the trailer. Once we put the boat on the trailer, we were able to see that the water was clearly leaking out from the transom at the bottom of the outdrive.

I've attached pictures... it almost seems as though the collision jolted the outdrive and broke the seal with the transom. Is this possible? We've inspected the fiberglass as best we could, and cannot see anything else obvious (we of course have not removed the out drive). Hoping for best case scenario here, as lake season is finally upon us! If you look in the pictures, the dirty line is very clear from the "clean line" of where the outdrive "was" (guessing?).. Also including pictures from the bilge.

We have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow, but I would like to get some input and have an idea of what I'm in for. Previously, it had run beautifully and never had any issues. Cheap boat, but made us happy! Hoping we can enjoy it this season. Any/all suggestions/personal experiences are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Leak into bilge from transom - OMC Cobra/Four Winns Freedom 1994

First time boat owners here. Recently was handed a very well maintained 1994 Four Winns Freedom 170 I/O. Took it out, ran great.

Until... we ran into a log. Hard. The boat did not really react/change speeds/show any immediate signs of distress, but of course we immediately stopped to see what happened. Nothing was obviously detectible, so we began slowly (and relatively unconcerned) heading back to the dock ... About 25 minutes into it, the boat seemed to be hesitating... we popped open the engine compartment and the bilge was full of water as was the ski cubby. Seemed to be a relatively rapid intake of water, though we didn't know from where, but to be that full in such a relatively short amount of time was frightening. We immediately turned on the bilge, went straight to the dock and immediately used a gas pump to remove the water/keep it out until we could get to the trailer. Once we put the boat on the trailer, we were able to see that the water was clearly leaking out from the transom at the bottom of the outdrive.

I've attached pictures... it almost seems as though the collision jolted the outdrive and broke the seal with the transom. Is this possible? We've inspected the fiberglass as best we could, and cannot see anything else obvious (we of course have not removed the out drive). Hoping for best case scenario here, as lake season is finally upon us! If you look in the pictures, the dirty line is very clear from the "clean line" of where the outdrive "was" (guessing?).. Also including pictures from the bilge.

We have a guy coming to look at it tomorrow, but I would like to get some input and have an idea of what I'm in for. Previously, it had run beautifully and never had any issues. Cheap boat, but made us happy! Hoping we can enjoy it this season. Any/all suggestions/personal experiences are greatly appreciated!

:welcome: to iboats

The boat looks clean and it does appear the force was enough to move the drive. Take a screw driver and on the inside try real hard to push it into the hull. If you can do this the transom is soft. If you cannot push the screw drive in, then check the bolts and could be one or more have broke.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

gasket could have been disturbed or you broke a bolt or two. Try slipping a business card between the transom and hull. You shouldnt be able to.
If you can ,the engine comes out ,the transom comes off ,and the gasket is replaced

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Bein' a '94, I'm guessin' you just discovered the transom is Rotten,....

hlurry87

Cadet

:welcome: to iboats

The boat looks clean and it does appear the force was enough to move the drive. Take a screw driver and on the inside try real hard to push it into the hull. If you can do this the transom is soft. If you cannot push the screw drive in, then check the bolts and could be one or more have broke.

THANK YOU! And thanks for the quick response!

We just went out and tried the screwdriver test... we pushed in 10+ spots putting some serious muscle behind it, included the area around where the water got in. Did not budge.

Its hard to reach the bolts inside of the bilge well enough to give them the strong wiggle test, but the bolts on the outside that we could access were all intact and seemed to be solid, didn't budge...

While I was out there I slipped a piece of paper between the transom and outdrive on the starboard side, just to confirm it being displaced and it entered without any force ... while the port side is tight and the paper will not slide through at all ... Not sure if this tells us anything other than... yes... its moved. Ha! This may seem like a dumb question - but it IS possible to jolt it and break a seal, right? Its almost like it needs to come off entirely and be put back on correctly/resealed. Is this a big job?

So appreciative of your time and suggestions! Feel so much better trying these things before our "boat doctor" arrives in the morning, so I at least have an idea of what we are looking at here.

Any other things to look for/do/try would be so appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3216.jpg
    IMG_3216.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3218.jpg
    IMG_3218.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1

hlurry87

Cadet

gasket could have been disturbed or you broke a bolt or two. Try slipping a business card between the transom and hull. You shouldnt be able to.
If you can ,the engine comes out ,the transom comes off ,and the gasket is replaced

Great suggestion! Just did this, and yes, a business card slips between the transom on the bottom starboard side, not on the port side, though... we in trouble? Attached some pics of the areas it will allow the card to slide in.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3226.jpg
    IMG_3226.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0

hlurry87

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Bein' a '94, I'm guessin' you just discovered the transom is Rotten,....

Thanks! Well... If it is, I haven't discovered it yet... I will certainly keep my fingers crossed that thats not the case!

Bondo

Staff member

THANK YOU! And thanks for the quick response!

We just went out and tried the screwdriver test... we pushed in 10+ spots putting some serious muscle behind it, included the area around where the water got in. Did not budge.

Its hard to reach the bolts inside of the bilge well enough to give them the strong wiggle test, but the bolts on the outside that we could access were all intact and seemed to be solid, didn't budge...

While I was out there I slipped a piece of paper between the transom and outdrive on the starboard side, just to confirm it being displaced and it entered without any force ... while the port side is tight and the paper will not slide through at all ... Not sure if this tells us anything other than... yes... its moved. Ha! This may seem like a dumb question - but it IS possible to jolt it and break a seal, right? Its almost like it needs to come off entirely and be put back on correctly/resealed. Is this a big job?

So appreciative of your time and suggestions! Feel so much better trying these things before our "boat doctor" arrives in the morning, so I at least have an idea of what we are looking at here.

Any other things to look for/do/try would be so appreciated.

Ayuh,... Of course it's Possible,... Ya just did it,...

The bolts/ studs rarely to never just loosen up,...
That leaves a rotten transom, the bolts can't clamp against mush,...

Ya gotta pull the drive, Then the motor,...
After that, the exhaust pipe, 'n the inner transom plate,...
Then push the outer transom housin' Off,...

By then yer gonna know exactly where the "Problem" is,...

It's a fairly Big job, but it depends on yer toy selection, 'n how Handy ya are,...

hlurry87

Cadet

Ayuh,... Of course it's Possible,... Ya just did it,...

The bolts/ studs rarely to never just loosen up,...
That leaves a rotten transom, the bolts can't clamp against mush,...

Ya gotta pull the drive, Then the motor,...
After that, the exhaust pipe, 'n the inner transom plate,...
Then push the outer transom housin' Off,...

By then yer gonna know exactly where the "Problem" is,...

It's a fairly Big job, but it depends on yer toy selection, 'n how Handy ya are,...

Ok so essentially the blunt force of the collision would not have caused the outdrive to breaks its seal to the transom UNLESS there were bigger problems already present?... So thats what we are looking for? I'm assuming? I certainly don't want this to happen again!

My husband IS handy... builds beautiful homes.............. NOT boats, though. And we are quickly learning boats have a whole new learning curve. Hah! I don't think this will be a DIY, your steps made me tired just thinking about... although my wallet fears what our mechanic will say tomorrow. I do love to learn about this stuff though, so any thing you can throw my way is VERY much appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member

Ok so essentially the blunt force of the collision would not have caused the outdrive to breaks its seal to the transom UNLESS there were bigger problems already present?... So thats what we are looking for? I'm assuming? I certainly don't want this to happen again!

My husband IS handy... builds beautiful homes.............. NOT boats, though. And we are quickly learning boats have a whole new learning curve. Hah! I don't think this will be a DIY, your steps made me tired just thinking about... although my wallet fears what our mechanic will say tomorrow. I do love to learn about this stuff though, so any thing you can throw my way is VERY much appreciated!

Ayuh,... Actually, Best case scenario to Me, is the rotten transom,...

The only other way the seal can be broken, is by broken bolts, studs, 'n housin's,....

Housin's ain't cheap, plywood, 'n fiberglass is,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

My friend did the same thing at Liberty Island. We removed the motor and then the transom housing, replaced the rubber seal, reinstalled everything and no more leak. He didn't break a bolt either and his transom was solid too.

hlurry87

Cadet

Just an update --- the seal had been broken... the outdrive was taken off, a new seal put in and the outdrive reinstalled. Problem solved! We got the boat back within the week and cost was far less than what I had feared.. Thanks for all of the help!