Can't thread in replacement Cobra Intermediate Shift Cable

wa6vuf

Recruit
Early 90's Sunbird with 5.0 OMC. Shift cable needed replacing, so dragged the old one out. Now, can't get the new one threaded in. I have the drive off and can clearly see the relatively large (3/4"?) hole on the water side that is to accept the cable. On the engine side, the hose come out at a 90 degree angle from the water entrance, runs through a long fuel line pipe, turns upwards along the transom, through a small bellows and presents itself at the throttle. Problem is that I can't get the replacement cable. Nevermind that it has unbendable shafts and beads hanging off of it making it seem impossible even if I could get it threaded. Problem is that I can't get it through from the engine side to the water side. It appears to hang up a few inches once I've entered the water side (the only way to do it due to the big nut). I was BARELY able to get a battery cable eye lug in there and it's much smaller. I've tried to get a variety of things into there hoping to use them as a messenger line, but they keep digging into the bend in the fuel line and I DON'T want to put a hole in there - it looks impossible to replace. I must be doing something wrong. I've run water through there to check for a kink - doesn't appear to be kinked. Sound familiar anyone? Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can't thread in replacement Cobra Intermediate Shift Cable

I believe you feed it from the transom to the inside of the boat. the threaded tube with the adj. barrel unscrews

Last edited:

MRS

Commander

Has to be hooked to pivot housing add a little dish soap to it and unscrew the top linkage from the cable will slide right in.

Last edited:

MRS

Commander

wa6, did you do it?