OMC Cobra Grease Tube Replacement

misslulu

Cadet
Need advice on how to replace the grease tube on starboard side of 1990 Cobra outdrive. I've purchased new grease tube (part number 3852564) and zerk (part number 0313607). The old tube has cracked and the zerk will not stay in. It appears the new tube will press in but shouldn't it be bonded in somehow?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Grease Tube Replacement

Need advice on how to replace the grease tube on starboard side of 1990 Cobra outdrive. I've purchased new grease tube (part number 3852564) and zerk (part number 0313607). The old tube has cracked and the zerk will not stay in. It appears the new tube will press in but shouldn't it be bonded in somehow?
Howdy,

It appears that the original tube was 'pressed' in and would hold ok like that.
I think I would still clean up the hole and use small amount of something like JB Weld or other epoxy suitable for metal to help secure it.

Regards,

Rick

misslulu

Cadet

Great, thanks. Plan to remove the drives next spring, ideal time to put zerks in. (twin drives) I'll try the JB this spring.

Thanks again.

Cool and certainly more direct that the original arrangement.

Doesn't this mean that the gimbal bearing can only be greased when the drive is off?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Cool and certainly more direct that the original arrangement.

Doesn't this mean that the gimbal bearing can only be greased when the drive is off?

If we're talking about a Dog-clutch Cobra, the original arrangement uses the 'tube', which "remotes" the zerk out to the starboard side of the transom mount.

The first Cobra gimbal mount had it. The problem came if you wanted better access to the starboard hyd line. You could carefully remove the tube with a pair of vise-grips (not too tight!) and a small pry-bar/screwdriver etc.

You can view the original OMC parts illustration at BRP -- Parts Catalogs

The tube is #72 and the zerk fitting is #57