1983 OMC Srtringer Trim want work

mtsummer

Cadet
Hi all, this is the first time i have posted on iboats although I have read it quite a bit. I have an 1983 OMC 5.7 stringer motor that i purchased last year, i am not sure what series it is. Yesterday i was going to get it ready for the summer (change the oil etc.) and i went to trim the motor but it did not move. Strangely i have never used the tilt switch on the dash just the trim on the gear shifter, so i used the tilt switch just to see, and it worked. Is there 2 different motors? Could i be lucky enough that it is just something electrical?

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 1983 OMC Srtringer Trim want work

Sounds like ya' got a Stringer (typically a white drive): Trim motor is on the front of the engine, tilt motor is on the back of the intermediate housing of the sterndrive (back at the transom). So, two different motors.

Trim motor is generally easy to get to. Might yank it and have it re-built by a local shop. Though, you can check solenoids and make sure your jackscrew is lubed.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Yes, 2 different systems, and no jackscrew, yours is hydraulic (the front engine mounts are hydraulic rams).
The trim pump motor is usually starboard side of engine. Follow the hoses from the rams to locate it.
If you rap the motor body it with the handle of a screwdriver and it comes alive, that means you need a new motor or an overhaul. Don't be fooled if it starts working when you hit it - it won't work for long.

If you are good with DC motors (e.g. starter motors), you can take it apart and clean the brushes and commutator bars yourself. It's not too bad of a job with a seal pick and some crocus cloth. .

If rapping it doesn't help, you could have a bad relay or even bad switch in the shifter or a blown fuse. The 50A barrel fuses just starboard of the carburetor atop the engine also like to rust inside - cleaning the fuses with some steel wool remedies that. .

Last edited:

mtsummer

Cadet

Are you sure no jackscrew, I have never seen any hydraulics on the motor except for the trim tabs, but that is not to say they are not there. I will give it a good looking at when i get home today. Thanks.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I'm sure of nothing on your 30 year old boat that I've never seen, but all 83 5.7's came with hydraulic selectrim unless dealer or boat builder removed it.

Some 5.7 came with the worm type, but not in 83.

Last edited:

mtsummer

Cadet

Well you can be. I cant believe I've never noticed that. As far as me being good with DC motors, no. Bout the only thing I am good at with my hands is the rapping you were referring to. LOL I do have a friend that is but I may still would rather just by a new one if that is the problem. I pulled a new tranducer wire (muskrats) last weekend I may have pulled something lose.

My boat is a 1983 Galaxy 260 DC. I didn't know when I bought it that I had bought a boat that the manufacture of the boat and drive were both out of business. The motor had just been rebuilt year before I bought it including the stringers. So far the motor has run great. But I get scared anytime something starts to break because I've read all the horror stories of how hard it is to find someone to work on them. I do have some very handy friends and I have a service manual on the way. Thanks again for the info, I'm going to dive into it in the morning I let you know how it goes.