New to me 5.8 Cobra - Drain plugs?

Mattrick2oo3

Cadet
So, long time reader first time poster. I just purchased a 89 Four Winns 200 with a 5.8 Cobra motor yesterday. Un-winterized and ran it on muffs before purchasing as the weather was decent here in MI (60?). Tonight low temp of 24? only getting up to 35? tomorrow and a low of 21? tomorrow night then getting back up into the 50-60's.

Should I go ahead and just drain the motor tonight for the next couple days? This is the course I want to take because I know it doesn't take long to drain. I know that there are petcock style drains on both manifolds, can anyone tell me where the block drains are located? Also should I worry about disconnecting any of the hoses at the t-stat housing and P.S. cooler?

Thanks!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to me 5.8 Cobra - Drain plugs?

So, long time reader first time poster. I just purchased a 89 Four Winns 200 with a 5.8 Cobra motor yesterday. Un-winterized and ran it on muffs before purchasing as the weather was decent here in MI (60?). Tonight low temp of 24? only getting up to 35? tomorrow and a low of 21? tomorrow night then getting back up into the 50-60's.

Should I go ahead and just drain the motor tonight for the next couple days? This is the course I want to take because I know it doesn't take long to drain. I know that there are petcock style drains on both manifolds, can anyone tell me where the block drains are located? Also should I worry about disconnecting any of the hoses at the t-stat housing and P.S. cooler?

Thanks!

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Unless you're parking the boat in a heated garage, YES, you SHOULD drain the block and manifolds completely!

The block drains on any V-8 are usually on the (each) side, below the manifolds........ They should be fairly obvious. remove the drain valve/plug completely and use a piece of wire, thin screwdriver etc to poke in there to free up any rust flakes or other debris. ENSURE that you drain ALL the water.

I would also disconnect hoses to the PS cooler and any other (oil) cooler if installed and the big hose on the circulating pump.

Also, make sure the drive is all the way down to prevent any water from pooling in there.

Was the drive oil changed at the end of the last season? If not, I would drain some oil and inspect it carefully.

If you change the drive oil, be absolutely sure you follow the procedure for changing the oil in a Cobra. Changing it wrong, will destroy the drive.

Regards,

Rick

Also, have a look HERE: http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/omc-information-334348.html

Last edited:

Mattrick2oo3

Cadet

Rick,

Thanks for the information! Removed both manifold/block plug on each side, disconnected hoses at the tstat housing and all other water hoses to drain out. Trimmed the outdrive all the way down as well. Anything else or should that cover me for the next few days of cold weather?

Thanks!

-Matt

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Rick,

Thanks for the information! Removed both manifold/block plug on each side, disconnected hoses at the tstat housing and all other water hoses to drain out. Trimmed the outdrive all the way down as well. Anything else or should that cover me for the next few days of cold weather?

Thanks!

-Matt

Hi Matt,

Yup. that should do it. You did poke a wire etc into the holes to ensure they're free and open as they drained?

Sometimes the rust flakes get pretty big and will block the drains making you think the water is done draining!

Mattrick2oo3

Cadet

Hi Matt,

Yup. that should do it. You did poke a wire etc into the holes to ensure they're free and open as they drained?

Sometimes the rust flakes get pretty big and will block the drains making you think the water is done draining!

Great! Yea I made sure all the drain holes were clear. Good thing, we went from 60? to 25? right now and 2" of snow on the ground.... *sigh* Gotta love Pure Michigan.

Thanks!

-Matt

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

cobra drain 1.jpgcobra drain 2.jpgThere are also 3 drain plugs in the pivot housing of the Cobra, you have to tilt it up to see them, 2 on the stbd side one on the port...Remove the plugs and rod em out with a small screwdriver....