OMC Manifold conversion - Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,

My 302 Manifolds have been getting worse and worse to the point that I am shocked my engine has not hydrolocked. So over the last year or so I have been putting the pieces together to do this conversion, I was able to piece this together for about half of what I have seen the "kits" go for.

I didnt want to just buy some old OEM ones just to deal with that same issue again. I thought I would go through the specifics to maybe help someone out , there is surprisingly little info out there on this .

old setup with the "logs" that have not been made in ages.

And here is the concept. Riser > 3" hose > elbow > 3.5 hose to intermediate.

The only thing that really suprised me is that the old manifolds are not fastened with bolts , they are held in with studs that have to be removed. So that took a little longer to get all of those out.

Finished

Fired it up and I had one leak on the starboard side, tightened the clamps up and no more leak.

Parts used.

GLM kit 58625 - That is the manifolds and risers only. 3 inch outlet I ckecked all the mating surfaces with a straight edge and they all looked good, nice and flat.

OSCO 803035 Elbow - you can buy just the elbow or a kit (CRR80x3.5) with the 3"hose and hose clamps, I used the kit, I believe there is a BARR elbow that will work too. Basically you need a 3" x 3.5" 90 degree elbow.

2 feet of 3.5 inch exhaust hose for the elbow to intermediate connection also Double clamp every connection

So thats what I used , I hope it helps someone, us old stringer guys need all the help we can get anyways. Like I said I pieced this together over time and have an all new exhaust for about 600 dollars, some of the conversion kits I have seen have been well above a grand.

Words of advice , when doing this do your valve cover gaskets while you are in there. Also I used hard wall exhaust on the elbow to intermediate connection , I am going to replace that with softwall (no wire) eventually, its a straight enough shot that there is no needs for the wired stuff and the fit could have been tighter.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Manifold conversion - Ford

Good for you!!!!!
Thanks for the imformative post!!

ROGNE

Recruit
Your the best that is the exact set up on my motor you don't know how much I appreciate your time and your information and let me tell you I'm a put together by picture so outstanding thank you again if you don't mind me asking where do you think I could find that hole set up right here on iBoats

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.