3.8 Chevy with Stringer outdrive

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice
Purchased a boat in Texas and found they had not winterized it so now I have water in the oil. Am looking for a complete engine but can't seem to hit on places that might have one. Have found a Mercruiser engine but if my exhaust manifolds are cracked I was told it would be expensive to buy new ones to adapt the engine over. I am reluctant to dig into the engine if I don't have a replacement in hand. I may be able to sell the boat as a project, as is, but I'm sure I can't if the motor is all apart. Any suggestions.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 3.8 Chevy with Stringer outdrive

Purchased a boat in Texas and found they had not winterized it so now I have water in the oil. Am looking for a complete engine but can't seem to hit on places that might have one. Have found a Mercruiser engine but if my exhaust manifolds are cracked I was told it would be expensive to buy new ones to adapt the engine over. I am reluctant to dig into the engine if I don't have a replacement in hand. I may be able to sell the boat as a project, as is, but I'm sure I can't if the motor is all apart. Any suggestions.

Ayuh,.... Ain't really any Good news,.... You might find a junkyard motor outa a pickup or van to put in it,...

You'll still need manifolds,...

You'll, No doubt, make the Most money, partin' it out, piece by piece,...

As a Project, an ole hull, with a fairly rare motor, that's cracked, 'n broken,... 'n antique drive,....
Ain't gonna bring a dime from anybody that knows anything 'bout boats,...

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I'll throw it out on the web with a few pictures and see what happens.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

google it.

e.g.
3.8l v6 OMC engine/motor 185 hp reduced!
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMC-Longblo..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item1e88cbf9a8&vxp=mtr

they aren't hard to find in any part of N. America
of course, you'll have to learn how to inspect a purchase candidate better than the original. I can see a patch on one manifold in the pics of that Dallas one.

lots of used garbage out there.

I suggest you sell it/donate/give it away. Buying a running boat that you can water test always cheaper.

Get a Mercruiser with a V8 chev engine.

Last edited: