What cobra stern drive ratio works with 7.5L

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was recently given a really clean 87' Bayliner 2850 that is powered by a 460 Ford. The engine and boat are in great shape but the drive is missing. The engine runs great and only has 289hours so I think it's worth putting the money into.

I have searched high and low and cannot find any info on 7.5L / regular cobra power packages. What drives work on this boat? I found a guy selling a 5.7/8L drive that he says works with all 5.7 - 8L engines. Since there are no 8.0L engines in marine use except the Viper V10 motor I'm assuming the tag means either 350 GM 5.7L or 351 Ford 5.8L .

Any ideas?

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What cobra stern drive ratio works with 7.5L

I was originally under the impression the all king cobras had the rectangular transom plate but I guess I was wrong. How can I tell if my boat had a cobra or king cobra?

Bondo

Staff member

I was originally under the impression the all king cobras had the rectangular transom plate but I guess I was wrong. How can I tell if my boat had a cobra or king cobra?

Ayuh,.... As I understand it. there's 3 King Cobras, 'n All of 'em are Dead Horses,...

Don't believe the Cobra was ever used,...

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does SEI make a drive that works with that King Cobra ? if so , I would definitely go that route rather than an OMC

matt167

Captain

Nope.. SEI does not offer anything for the King Cobra, and Mercruiser has not used a Ford since the 70's, and I don't think they ever did use a 385 series engine ( 429/460 ), so no Mercruiser bell is going to fit the 460.. You either need to find a King Cobra drive, and I wouldn't put a lot of money into it, or find a donor boat with a 454/Bravo setup. Sadly a cheaper 5.7L setup is not going to run a 2855 very well, so you really have no cheap 'good' option.. Make sure the boats what you like and worth it, because you'll be in it $5-6k most likely. It was free because it was cheaper for someone else to offload

By 8L, I'm assuming he meant 8.1L/496 which was used in boats for a few years..

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

What drives work on this boat?
87460_zps9d2aa2d9.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunatly the BBF needed a heavier drive than the 5.0/5.7
The 5.7 will fit on but I think it's gonna be too weak.
Some companies make an adaptor for OMC to Mercury.
Not sure who but look around.
There are a bunch of scrap yards that have drives.
Google Marine salvage.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I was recently given a really clean 87' Bayliner 2850 that is powered by a 460 Ford. The engine and boat are in great shape but the drive is missing. The engine runs great and only has 289hours so I think it's worth putting the money into.
Howdy,

Yes. Like they indicated above, you're going to have a bit of a time finding a drive for that engine and gimbal mount. The drive that went behind the 460 was "special" in many ways. (for example, It held 108oz of oil compared to the other drives that held MUCH less and was MUCH heavier)

I had one on the back of my 1987 Four Winns Liberator that I removed and replaced with a Merc 454+Bravo drive.

The main reason was that certain parts are simply not available anymore for the 460. mainly exhaust manifolds.

The coupler was unavailable until Sierra (I think) starting supplying them again. I don't know if they're still available.

A coupler is not really a "wear" item since they last so long.

But manifolds are definitely wear items since they rust at a fixed rate and MUST be replaced on regular schedule if in salt and don't last indefinitely in fresh water.

You can find them from time to time for upwards of $1600 EACH on ebay from different suppliers as they find them from marine suppliers that go out of business and have them sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

It could be possible to change the gimbal mount and switch to a Volvo Penta DPS duo-prop I think. The Late DonS did one of those many years ago and someone here might still have the conversion info but the cost would be MUCH more than just pulling everything and getting something else in the boat.

I did my swap in 2006. After removing all the OMC stuff, I sold it all (including the drive) piece by piece on ebay, craigslist etc, for a total of about $3500 over a few years....... I still have a few parts left like props and filter mount castings unique to the 460 that I didn't even try to sell. selling all that junk offset the cost of buying the newer (1997) Merc set up.

Your best bet will be to pull the engine. It is worth "something"

Then you can find a busted boat with a good engine and drive. I would go with Mercruiser again only because for every Volvo engine/drive setup I found, I found "50" Mercruiser engines and drives. (I actually looked for a Volvo BBC/DP setup and never found one........But I DID find several Merc BBC/Bravo xxx setups)

Also, the OMC Cobra bolt pattern and drive "cut-out" is essentially identical to the Mercruiser cut-out. You only need to drill 2 additional holes for the 2 additional studs in the Mercruiser transom mount.

Good luck,

Rick

Last edited:

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I have a cobra upper from another donor boat but I can't seem to find the correct baby king lower at a decent price (I can buy a complete drive for almost the same price)