Bellows Replacement 1986 4.3L Cobra I/O

I need to change all my bellows. I have already removed the outdrive. My question is: How hard is it to replace all the bellows? Does the gimbal assembly have to be removed? Any special tools, like a bellows expander tool? Is the procedure all straight forward?

MRS

Commander
Re: Bellows Replacement 1986 4.3L Cobra I/O

Just remove pivot housing and they are easy. Read the manual it is all in there no special tools needed.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you remove the housing be careful not to stress the shift cable, or break the trim sensor arm.

Everything went well, very simple. Way easier than an Alpha. Removed the drive, shift in neutral. U joint was tight sliding out through the bellows. Unscrewed exhaust bellows and removed snap ring, pulled right off. Removed clamp on U joint bellows, rolled rubber lip from gimble and pushed in, came right off. Cleaned everything. Nice. Collapse u joint bellows and turn sideways to slide back into place. Tighten clamp at 5:00. Pull front through and roll lip into place. Install exhaust bellows, clamp at 3:00. Pull front through and install snap ring. Not conventional snap ring, regular pliers will do just fine. Clean housing with small wire brush, little grease on shifting dog. Clean gasket surfaces, install 2 rubber O-rings on shaft, and one in housing, little vasoline. Spray Hi Tac (NAPA) on housing to hold gasket, wait about 5 mins, install drive, two people. Whole procedure in driveway took about 1 and 1/2 hours, START TO FINISH.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad it went well for you.