1989 omc 2.3l 4 cyl-- questions- maintenance seals, gaskets

Galaxie1989

Cadet
I am restoring a boat with omc cobra 2.3l. It hasnt been in the water in 4 years, I got it from a relative and it is my first boat. I fixed engine problems, replaced deck and seats and am wondering what seals/gaskets or any other maintenance that should be performed before i put this boat on the water. Any advice or links with any info/steps would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Galaxie1989

Cadet
maintenance question- seals/ gaskets, routine maintenance

maintenance question- seals/ gaskets, routine maintenance

I am restoring a boat with omc cobra 2.3l. It hasnt been in the water in 4 years, I got it from a relative and it is my first boat. I fixed engine problems, replaced deck and seats and am wondering what seals/gaskets or any other maintenance that should be performed before i put this boat on the water. Any advice or links with any info/steps would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Hawki

Cadet
Re: maintenance question

I have just completed that process thanks to Iboat helpers. Does your engine run? And run good without getting hot or missing? I would go completely through it, it is not hard and will not take that much time. Some things are a pain but worth it. I have the same engine as you do and a cobra stern drive. Where are you located.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 omc 2.3l 4 cyl-- seals, gaskets

Re: 1989 omc 2.3l 4 cyl-- seals, gaskets

There a couple things you can / should do...
1. Check the shift cable, make sure that resistance is as per spec and it is properly adjusted
2. Replace bellows, lubricate U-Joints, check gimball bearing, check engine alignment
3. Might be a good idea to change grommets (rubber gaskets) on the lower water pick up tube, you will need to separate lower and upper parts of the drive... Make sure you drain fluid from the drive or it will be really messy...
4. Replace hydraulic fluid in trim system
5. Replace engine oil
6. Replace water/fuel separator
7. Look into upgrading to electronic ignition or replace points rotor and cup...

Galaxie1989

Cadet

I am in south Louisiana. The engine seems to be fine, I have changed motor oil. had to replace distributor, alternator, wiring harness, starter, plugs/wires. The trim motor i had to buy a used one and have replaced it. How do I check engine alignment and check gimball bearing, what am I looking for? I bought a manual on the omc.

Galaxie1989

Cadet

Also, Ive looked for electronic ignition and havent found one compatible with the 2.3l? points and cap are new though

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 omc 2.3l 4 cyl-- questions- maintenance seals, gaskets

If you replace the points distributor with electronic, it HAS to be compatible with OMCs shift assist system (ESA). I'd stick with points, I still have em on mine.
To the lists above I'd add replace the raw water impeller in the upper hear housing. It's a maintenance item. Was th boat used in salt water, if so you should chech the ex manifold and riser.

Hawki

Cadet

I was hoping you was close, I'm in central georgia, BulBash gave a good list, I considered the electronic ignition but to me not worth the trouble and expense, I would remove the sterndrive and ck engine alignment, mind was way off, and as Bulbash stated seperate it and replace the rubber gaskets on the tube, It is easy and you learn about it and its condition, the only problem area i had was putting the drive back on but after help from iboats forum got it on in about 15 min. Anything you need to know post and you will get excellent feed back.

Galaxie1989

Cadet

Can anyone give me a little info on checking the alignment. I understand the concept but is there anything in particular or any special tools I will need to have

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You need the alignment tool and you need some marine grease. Pull the drive and coat the last part of the tool (the part that goes into the coupler splines). You then insert the tool into the gimble bearing (keep the tool straight do not turn it) then pull it out ( still keeping it straight). The pattern of the splines in the grease should be the same all the way around.