tilt motor removal 1976 120 OMC

budmanboat

Cadet
I am new to the forum and need help. I have a 1976 120 HP with OMC outdrive. The tilt motor is located near the bottom of the engine on port side. I can see the 2 wires ( blue/white striped) and green/white striped) located on the motor and the harness that connects them to the respective selenoids. I cannot see where the two bolts/screws connect the tilt motor to the housing. Are these screws flat head, phillips or hex nuts if bolts. I is very tight quarters and may have to use mirror to actually see them. Also, is the motor "grounded" by the through bolts or screws. I do not see a third wire ( black).
The only nomenclature in can see on the motor is SAE J1117 Prestolite. I do not think this motor is attached with a flange.
I have seen several 2 wire motors on line that look identical to what I have and there is a huge price range from $ 59 -$ 239. Please Help if you can.

cadet Budmanboat

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: tilt motor removal 1976 120 OMC

the screws that go right through the housing length, also mount it. You are correct, it is not a flange type on a 1976.
0382138 is the original OMC part number. It is still avail from an Evinrude dealer or lots of aftermarket choices if you start with that number for reference.

superbenk

Commander

When you take it out, be careful not to lose the hammer-blow coupler that attaches the motor shaft to the worm-gear shaft. It's a 2-piece item with a spring that can come apart. I'd also recommend checking the worm-gear shaft to make sure the slit in the end of it that goes into the worm-gear is in good shape. The worm-gear & shaft slide out from the back of the tilt housing on the outside of the boat (there's a retaining plate with 3 bolts that holds it in).

budmanboat

Cadet

Many thanks for the prompt and informative response. I purchased a motor yesterday on line per Howard Sterndrive's recommendation . New with correct # off ebay for $ 58.95 w/ free shipping. Hope the rest is that easy. Superbenk's tips about checking worm gear will prove helpful. I have a SeaLock manual for 76 OMCs but do not have it with me right now to visualize what Superbenk is telling me. However, will have it and make sure I am totally prepared before I end up with another problem.

Thanks Guys!
Budmanboat

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

... and if your stern is like mine, get something soft to lay on.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't mean to muddy the water but cheap tilt motor replacements often do not develop the required torque to raise the outdrive. There is reason why one costs $60 and one costs $200. Just beware, if you have difficulty, that is likely the reason.

budmanboat

Cadet

Excellent point about the torque. The motor was advertised as new with correct omc part #. Through ebay, I have a 14 day return window for full refund. Worst case is having the experience of replacing it twice. Probably failed to mention boat and outdrive is 37 yrs old and tilt motor has been replaced at least 3 times by a certified omc
Boat mechanic. Thought I would try it this time myself.Thanks to all for the great tips.
Budmanboat

southkogs

Staff member

You can also have those motors rebuilt. I had mine done for about half the price of a new one (even off eBay) and it's worked great.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Excellent point about the torque. The motor was advertised as new with correct omc part #. Through ebay, I have a 14 day return window for full refund. Worst case is having the experience of replacing it twice. Probably failed to mention boat and outdrive is 37 yrs old and tilt motor has been replaced at least 3 times by a certified omc
Boat mechanic. Thought I would try it this time myself.Thanks to all for the great tips.
Budmanboat

There are reasons why those motors die and there are some remedies to help keep them from doing so. Mostly it is moisture and oil that get in the motor from leaking gear box seals. They say that once the windings on the armature get saturated with oil, they lose torque even when the oil is cleaned off of them. The other thing is that the commutator gets gummed up with the same gunk. That can be cleaned and the grooves cleaned out. PM me for more.