OMC 3.0L on 18FT Sea Sprite Sterndrive

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I have a few questions. I have this 86 sea sprite with a omc 3.0L sterndrive engine. Lots of new parts, got it super cheap cause it has a cracked block. Already took it apart and cleaned crack and welded it with jbweld. Now i was wondering if anyone knew where the impeller is located? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the web. I thought in the stern drive but when I took that apart it doesnt seem to be there. Any help would be appreciated or advice on these engines. Its an older boat, it ran all last year with the cracked block, no water in oil so this year i am actually taking a little time to repair it the best I can and figured i might as well do impeller as well. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: OMC 3.0L on 18FT Sea Sprite Sterndrive

Ok I have a few questions. I have this 86 sea sprite with a omc 3.0L sterndrive engine. Lots of new parts, got it super cheap cause it has a cracked block. Already took it apart and cleaned crack and welded it with jbweld. Now i was wondering if anyone knew where the impeller is located? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the web. I thought in the stern drive but when I took that apart it doesnt seem to be there. Any help would be appreciated or advice on these engines. Its an older boat, it ran all last year with the cracked block, no water in oil so this year i am actually taking a little time to repair it the best I can and figured i might as well do impeller as well. Thanks!

Ayuh,.... '86 is a change over year, so have ya got a Stringer 400 drive, or a Cobra drive,..??

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its either 84,85,86 lol, it says SternDrive on the lower unit
does that help?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

not really - take a pic or google up some images and link us to one that matches yours

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All i have is pics of engine if that can help if not i'll have to get some when i get homeengine.jpg

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is what it looks likeOMC_sterndrive.jpg

Any recommendations for these engine are appreciated.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you have a full mechanical shift model 400 stringer mount drive. Silver engine = 1985 model year.

The impeller is in the bottom part of the upper gearcase. To service it, you need to remove the drive, then remove the upper gearcase from the drive and work on it on a bench. You should follow a FACTORY manual step by step although there are lots of threads on the subject here if you search 400 series stringer impeller. In removing the drive, you want to protect and be respectful of your shift cable ($700).

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a big pain. I didnt put much money into this boat and last year it pumped water great, ran great, figured if i could check in quick i might as well. Other boats were always easy, this sounds like you have to invest a bit into it just to replace the pump...any way to check it without ripping it apart?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the rule of thumb is plan to replace the impeller on any used boat.
The less money you put in = more time wrenching usually, not less.
You can check the flow, but no way to tell if one rubber vane is about to rip off without going in.

It is about the worst maintenance friendly impeller in the industry. That said - it can be done in a 2 or 3 hours the first time and an hour or so the 2nd time.