OMC Steering cable

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Hope im in the right place. I just bought a 1978 invader with a 351 windsor. Steering is super tight. I believe I need a new cable. But I dont know which cable I need. And have no idea where to start. Any help much appreciated.

P.s. havent owned a boat in a while cant wait to get back on the lake. This site is amazing. And these forums have been an unbelievable help to me in the past. Thanks to all you guys who share your knowledge.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: OMC Steering cable

'78 OMC should be Tru-Course steering. New cable I think might be an eBay search.

My first step would be to make sure the drive turns freely. Disconnect the steering and see if it turns. Maybe check the tension adjust on the helm and see if that turns freely as well.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Do you have power steering or trucourse? (i.e. is there a ps pump on the engine?)
If it's trucourse the part number will be embossed into the cable sheath (black or red plastic part). The last 2 digits indicate assembly length in feet (measured from center of drum to center of drum)

Did it ever turn well for you?

Last edited:

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just bought the boat so im unaware of how long it has been this hard to steer. It is definitely trucourse as there is no PS pump. I had never heard of trucourse steering before this thread. This is my first I/o. Ive always had outbosrds. I will check out drive and tension adjust tonight. I just assumed tight steering = need new cable as thats what almost every google search led too. However, after researching trucourse it seems most guys are grtting over 30 years out of their cables.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I just bought the boat

that's why I was asking - If someone assembles an outdrive out of ebay uppers and craigslist lowers, they may not know how to shim the exhaust housing cover. too many shims clamps the lower to the upper and it won't steer. Also, that swivel area in the drive has a grease fitting.
Also some steering shafts in the intermediate have grease fittings.
you might just need to do the twice-per-season required maintenance for the first time in 10 years. :)

start by removing the drive off the boat (just far enough the steering gears disengage) - if the steering wheel frees up, the problem is in the outdrive.

Last edited:

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might just need to do the twice-per-season required maintenance for the first time in 10 years. :) .[/QUOTE said:
Lol thats what im hoping. I cant seem to find zerk fittings anywhere on this thing. I looked behind the steering wheel, and all over the out drive. The outdrive is a stringer 800. Anybody know where I can find some zerks?

southkogs

Staff member

... Anybody know where I can find some zerks?
On the leading edge of the sterndrive, just above the cavitation plate you'll see what looks like a plastic bolt head. Remove that "plug" and inside of there should be the grease fitting for the swivel.

davynep

Cadet

I just got done replacing the steering shaft on my 400 OMC Stringer. My problem was not the cable but the shaft. Had a guy take off the outdrive for me so I could watch and learn.
-Make sure if you take your outdrive apart you label exactly what came off either side and what orientation. Take pictures with the labels on so that you know exactly what went where.

My steering was tight from the start but operational until I took it in the ocean for a few weeks. Then it locked up. A slide hammer was used to pull it out eventually. There was an attachment for vice grips. Got a new one in all greased up and it is so nice. I do have a 16 foot cable that would work, might need so tri-flow shot down it from the stern to the helm, turning both ways. Disconnect the stern end and get it up high and hang it there. Use a whole can if you got a willing helper. Make sure to rotate the wheel and count how many times it turns then put it in the middlish spot depending on how you want dead center to orientate the design of your wheel. Mine has three spokes out to the wheel, I like one in the middle when its center. You should only have to move it an inch or two off dead center. Anyways have your helper pull the shift cable through as you put the outdrive back on. And if you can't get the screw back in you might have to adjust it some more possibly going other more off center way.

So thats all I got right now. Im a newbie clearly but I have a good memory when it comes to mechanics.

Last edited:

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks I might try lubing it up as well just for the halibut. Its pouring here and the boat doesnt fit in my garage so I havent been able to mess with it.

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so no serious work done yet, but I braved the rain today and went out to take a good look at it with my new information in hand. Tension adjust works beautifully. Trucourse cable does not seem to be binding anywhere. It's pretty straight from helm all the way back. Southkogs, I can't seem to find this white cap you speak of. Maybe I'm just blind. I will try to post some pictures and see if you guys can point it out.

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am really hoping not to have to remove the outdrive, but it sounds like almost every solution involves doing it. How complicated is it with this outdrive? My father would be helping me, hes a great instinctual mechanic, hes the one who helped me get the motor running like a top. but hes not familiar with outdrives. Would it be something we could do ourselves?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

to investigate whether the issue is in the outdrive or not doesn't require complete removal of the drive. You only need undo the 4 bolts that hold the drive on at the trunnions (pry the rubber steering bumpers off and you'll see the bolts). Just move the drive back enough for the two steering gears to unmesh, then try turning the steering wheel.

But try greasing the outdrive swivel first - that doesn't require removing anything and it needs to be done twice per season so might as well learn how.

Search iboats threads for maintenance and removal - lots of good info here and get a factory manual.

Last edited:

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found that zerk! Geez. How obvious. Thats the hole I originally suspected, but the white plug was missing. And there is some black rubbery film covering the zerk (possibly dried grease?) So I couldnt see it when I shined the flash light in there. Its definitely been a LONG time since that zerk has seen fresh grease. Im really hoping thats all it needs. Also, should I find a plug to cover that hole? Seems like water in there would be no bueno.

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh. Also. Im going through the glove box today, and theres a service manual in there. NICE!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Found that zerk! Geez. How obvious. Thats the hole I originally suspected, but the white plug was missing. And there is some black rubbery film covering the zerk (possibly dried grease?) So I couldnt see it when I shined the flash light in there. Its definitely been a LONG time since that zerk has seen fresh grease. Im really hoping thats all it needs. Also, should I find a plug to cover that hole? Seems like water in there would be no bueno.

There are two zerks for the steering shaft. I think the one you found is on the outside of the transom, just below where the shaft exits the intermediate housing. The other (equally important) is where the shaft terminates in a recess in the intermediate housing. That zerk is a lot harder to get to. It is between the TruCourse drum and where the forward end of the shaft is supported in the intermediate housing. Be aware, that there is a nylon bushing in that pocket that is probably worn thru. It usually wears out due to lack of lubrication. It is essential to keep the shaft centered and to reduce the effort that the drum needs to exert to rotate it.

All that being said, you should not ignore your TruCourse cable ways. If they are not a resistive issue now, they will be at sometime in the future and to ignore them puts excessive wear on the cable ways, the cable and all your helm supports. Pay attention to what davynep said about lubricating the cableways.

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The one I found is right on the swivel itself. and I think I've definitely found the problem. this thing hasn't seen grease in years. It actually won't even take grease right now. I'm probably gonna have to replace the fitting. Unless you guys have some nifty tricks for getting a fitting to take grease?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The one I found is right on the swivel itself. and I think I've definitely found the problem. this thing hasn't seen grease in years. It actually won't even take grease right now. I'm probably gonna have to replace the fitting. Unless you guys have some nifty tricks for getting a fitting to take grease?

I think you are talking about the hidden swivel zerk that is accessed thru hole in the front side of the outdrive. The two that I am talking about (very important and oft neglected) are the forward and aft fittings for the intermediate steering shaft itself. Ignore both of those and the TruCourse cableways at your own peril.

As far as the swivel zerk accepting grease, you need to be square on it which is not easy to do. For decades I was not even aware of that fitting. When I went to grease it, it acted like it did not want to take it. Grease was squirting out all around it. I finally got down on my back, with the outdrive raised, where I could better determine if I was getting a straight shot at it. It finally accepted grease.

If that does not work for you, with the outdrive up, unscrew the fitting and lower it thru the hole. Once in hand, you will be able to clean it. It being straight above you, it should not be hard to keep it in the socket. I have a little LED pen lite that I could see up the access hole to see if I was aiming properly to re-install it.

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I just bought the boat
you should consider replacing the impeller in the drive anyways, and while in there, that whole swivel area would be wide open (on the bench).
plus while the drive is off, you'll find out which half of the system the problem is in.

dhughes214

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The impeller was replaced right before I bought it. But if I get this grease fitting squared away and its still not wanting to steer smooth, i'm just gonna bite the bullet and find someone to show me how to take this drive off.