1987 trim sender

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after a quick look at the thread below I grabbed a really sharp knife and started to tear out the epoxy inside my junk (only junk cause wires broke off at the sender)..... I got her dug out of there and tested it with a meter........ needless to say the meter was ALL over the place....I grab a side cutter and cut one side of the resistor of the potentiometer and VIOLA!
meter reads really smooth. I went to radio shack to pick up a new diode and the had the 1k ohm resistor BUT! it was only a half watt, a little smaller than the one that ABradley put on it years ago...... will the half watt diode work? or do I need to seek a larger one?

http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/cobra-trim-sender-237780.html

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 trim sender

No such thing as a 1K ohm diode.

Have a picture of what you are trying to replace?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You know that Sierra makes a replacement for the NLA trim sender, I got one right here on iboats about 4 years ago...

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know that Sierra makes a replacement for the NLA trim sender, I got one right here on iboats about 4 years ago...

yes but I will be keeping about 98$ in my account and have a working sender

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I replaced the sender on my Volvo. If it ever fails again, I won't bother.

The problem with trying to rebuild this is the seals on the shaft. That is what causes them to fail and I doubt you are going to have luck finding seals for them.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I need to little blue diode? resistor? thingamabobbie? in the top. I picked up one at radio shack that was one size smaller than the one on this one diode.jpg

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

call me cheap but I will try my 3$ fix and if it goes bad then I wont bother with it

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So, is that potentiometer(pot) on the left, the original one?
Did the original pot already have a resistor soldered across it?

Usually when these go bad, water gets into the pot and ruins the windings on it and that is why they get erratic.