85 3.8 chevy w/800 stringer omc

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice
When I bought the boat the seller said the last time it was out it overheated. Have pulled the engine thermostat and will replace. Am trying to determine the model number for the outdrive so I can order a water pump for it. I have looked the whole outdrive over and the only thing I find is V6 on the side. I find a few casting numbers but nothing that looks like a model number. Is it located on the housing connected to the engine? Base on some of my reading here and other places I am guessing the outdrive is an 800 based on the large anode on the front of the outdrive.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 3.8 chevy w/800 stringer omc

it's an 800 "full mechanical". The impeller kit advertised most places to fit all 1964-1985 omc drives will fit yours. If you live anywhere there is snow and ice, get the full kit with the impeller housing. yours will probably be cracked.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

When you say most places exactly where do you mean? I have hit a full breakdown on marineengines.com but then I found 3 assemblies listed.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

any Napa store, dozens of ebay sellers, or right here at boats you can get an aftermarket unit
marineengine.com is an Evinrude dealer, so they have the OMC part number, which is
0983218 WATER PUMP REPAIR KIT

Last edited:

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

Actually finally found that number. Looked on ebay but the pictures seem to show a lot of different parts, if NAPA carries it I'll try them.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Napa has a full line of Sierra marine stuff, but they wont have that in stock unless they're a store in a boating community. Sometimes you'll get a blank stare from the pimply faced kid behind the counter and he'll tell you to go outside and re-read the sign that says "AUTO" parts. You then tell him to go back to watching "16 and pregnant" on the counter computer while you wait in the 26 people long line for the old bald fat guy who has a cigar in his mouth and says 'GD' every other word while he grabs the spitoon with his mouse hand and sprays in that general direction and you can tell ain't NOBODY gonna complain about his cigar smell not if they want the right parts the first time and they'll put up with being told 'Them damn stringers ain't worth a damn but I got the GD kit upstairs" so he heads upstairs and everyone turns away to avoid his plumbers butt scene and all the while he's talking to 4 other people in the line at the same time and doing their part numbers in his head which he grabs while he's up there and comes back with parts balanced on his belly and both arms which kinda reminds you of those women from India balancing those 16 gallon water urns on their heads but without the 'Backy' stained teeth and spitoon nearby. Suddenly pimple face says "woah duuuuude what's a car...bur...ator?" and Backy man says "They upstairs, up to the roof and wait for the GD helicopter to deliver em from main warehouse" and the kid says "Whoa coooool!" and heads upstairs no plumbers butt but lots of undwerwear cause his pants are nearly on the ground and everyone watches thinking he HAS to trip and fall down the stairs but he doesn't much to all our disappointment.