'89 OMC Cobra Shifting Problems

Armyboater

Cadet
Hello all and thanks in advance for the help.

To start I have an '89 Bayliner with a 5.0 and Cobra I/O. The problem I'm having is getting it to shift at all. I replaced the engine due to a cracked block and I have put in a new distributor.

Here is the link to the new distributor. 5.0L (305 ci) Delco Voyager EST Marine Electronic Distributor Kit - Michigan Motorz

The engine runs fine and I wired the shift assist like a Merc and the engine does stumble when attempting to shift in water. The top switch of the two was faulty, at least from what I can tell, so I took it out of the loop. I uploaded a video here, YouTube. Thanks again for any help that you all can offer me.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 OMC Cobra Shifting Problems

Shifting problems with Cobra drives are well know and so are the solutions. You need to go through it step by step to get it shifting right. There are really no shortcuts. A properly adjusted Cobra with a good shift cable, and properly adjusted idle, will shift with 2 fingers.
To start some Bayliners had a cheap shift control box that caused shifting problems all by itself. You might want to disconnect the throttle and shift cables at the engine and see if there is stiffness or loss of motion in either cable. If so I'd plan on replacing the control, and cables.
Next you have to start with the drive off. You need to measure the shift rod height on the lower unit. Once you verify that is correct, you move on to the lower cable. You need to check the drag with a fish scale first to make sure its in spec. If so then make sure the bellcrank in the pivot housing is free and well lubed up. If they get crud from water deposits behind them it will cause stiff shifting. If the cable is stiff, you must replace it, because the dog clutch will not properly engage the gears fully and then it will jump out of gear which will wear the gears and the dog clutch out.
Proper adjustment of the transom shift cable requires the use of the bell crank holding tool and the shift cable tool. With them its an easy job. Then after you get that done, you reinstall the drive and adjust the cable from the control to the engine bellcrank bracket. This is the most basic description but for more details, an OMC shop manual is very good. You can get all three tools from Crowley Marine, or Midnight Wolf (google him) sells his own tools and has some service bulletins on his website that are very helpful in the adjustment process. After you do the adjustment a good check on your work is to (with the engine OFF) have someone turn the prop, while you shift it from N to both Fwd and Rev. The person turning the prop, should be able to feel it lock in both gears equally. You need equal movement/engagement of the dog clutch in both gears.

Midnight Wolf Sales - OMC Tools

Midnight Wolf Sales - OMC Tools

Last edited:

Armyboater

Cadet

Thanks for your response. I'm going to be getting started this weekend. Hopefully I'll be and running before the season starts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The engine should stumble when shifting out of gear and not into gear. It should also never stumble when you are running on muffs out of the water. If it does, you will need to replace yourlower shift cable.

Lou is correct about the Bayliner shift levers. They had too much "lost motion" so that when you shifted, you didn't get full throw of the cable.

Last edited:

madstickers

Recruit
Hello all and thanks in advance for the help.

To start I have an '89 Bayliner with a 5.0 and Cobra I/O. The problem I'm having is getting it to shift at all. I replaced the engine due to a cracked block and I have put in a new distributor.

Here is the link to the new distributor. 5.0L (305 ci) Delco Voyager EST Marine Electronic Distributor Kit - Michigan Motorz

The engine runs fine and I wired the shift assist like a Merc and the engine does stumble when attempting to shift in water. The top switch of the two was faulty, at least from what I can tell, so I took it out of the loop. I uploaded a video here, YouTube. Thanks again for any help that you all can offer me.

Trying to veiw your your tube video but im getting a "This video is private" warning.
my you tube account is zx14sumo.ninja@twc.com
can you help me out

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This why we ask to not hijack old threads. Armyboater hasn't been here in 18 months..

Please start a new thread with your questions.