First oil change using suction pump on 2.3 problems

nedc

Cadet
I didn't get a chance to change the oil on my (rebuilt and run about 10 hours since) OMC 2.3 when it was really warm. yesterday, it was about 60 degrees so i put the muffs on and ran the motor for about 10 minutes. Temp only got to 125-130 but i figured the oil was warm enough to flow. Hooked up the Shurflo to the electric drill and spun it up- nothing- no oil coming out the other end. I varied speeds and after a few minutes, gave up. This is my first time using this setup. Was i doing it wrong? Oil not warm enough (15-40 weight)? I'm temped to just undo the dipstick fitting and let it drain out the bilge hole- messy, but I KNOW that would work. Don't want to let this thing sit all Winter with the old oil in it. Any ideas?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: First oil change using suction pump on 2.3 problems

Get a pump that threads onto the dipstick fitting.

BMGB2873.JPG

Drill pumps suck.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Right, I have a vaccum pump and it worked much better when I fabbed up an adaptor to screw on the dipstick tube. Your engine should be able to get to 160* on the water hose if the thermostat is not sticking open slightly. Put in a new stat if you have not yet done so.

nedc

Cadet

Forgot to mention that the pump I am using does thread onto the dipstick fitting ...and the thermostat is new, reads 160 out on the water.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

My first thought would be it's sucking air and not letting it prime.

Check your hose and conections.

cr2k

Captain

The drill motor pumps have light weight vanes and will just fold over if they can't suck. You need to run your boat at least 20 min to get oil warmed up enough.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is 15-40 really the right oil? I used to have a boat with that engine and I don't remember it taking anything that heavy.

alldodge

Staff member

May have already burned up the impeller inside the pump, but put a small amount of il into the pump and try again.

Probably dumb question, but you do have it working in the right direction?

nedc

Cadet

I double and triple checked that it was spinning in the right direction. The pump says self priming, so I didn't do anything, but maybe putting some oil in there will help it build pressure.

I use 15-40W oil in a lot of things during the summer- mowers, motorcycles, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to use 15w-40 in a boat unless its synthetic.

nedc

Cadet

I haven't heard that before...why? i thought Rotella 15-40 was good in lots of applications.
You don't want to use 15w-40 in a boat unless its synthetic.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I haven't heard that before...why? i thought Rotella 15-40 was good in lots of applications.
Because that weight oil has viscosity increasing products in them that break down. For example, Volvo specifically says not to use that grade in their engine manuals.

Synthetic versions of that weight don't have VIP so they are ok.

attachment.php

Last edited:

nedc

Cadet

ah, I see. Will go w/ 30 weight then. Thanks for that info Bruce.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

People drive themselves crazy trying to come up with other things to use, that what the company that built the power package advised. As a rule, mono grades were recommended because multi vis oils can break down in high rpm use as you have with marine engines. If you stick to a straight 30 you will not have that problem, no VI improvers so it will keep its viscosity better. Its confusing because the recommendations have varied for what are basically the same engines. If you have a marine parts store nearby they usually sell straight weights or you can also use the Merc spec 25w/40 oil. Rotella/Delo 15w/40 was recommended by Crusader engines for their inboards but they use oil coolers so there is less heat build up in the motor oil. Most Merc/OMC/Volvos did not have engine oil coolers so the straight weight or the heavier multi vis (20w/50) or the Merc spec 25w/40 would work well. You don't want the viscosity breaking down in any of these engines.

Renken1

Cadet

Does anyone know if the pump pictured in this thread is available anywhere besides a boat store? Thanks for your time in advance!

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

I just loosened the bolt that fastens the elbow to the oil pan. I used a funnel, zip tie, and a piece of plastic hose routed through the drain plug hole into a container. The oil came out in a slow stream. The next morning it was empty. This allowed for plenty of beer drinking time. Also it was cheaper that buying a pump. I know people will get bummed that I didn't go by the book and find fault in this method. It worked for me.

bonzoscott

I always drain in the bilge into a pan below the trailer. Then throw 2-3 gallons of hot soapy water in bilge, little scrubbing with car washing brush then rinse. All out the plug hole in a bucket. Good or bad, worked for me 25 years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why would you drain into the bilge when they provide the pump out fitting and the tube that connects to the drain hole of the pan?

Last edited:

bonzoscott

Bruce.... My best answer is ignorance I guess. No mention of it in my owners manual and no internet in 89. I was curious why the top of the dipstick tube had a garden hose fitting. My method has always worked....