1987 Sunbird 3.0l OMC engine won't start

1qaz2wsx3edc

Recruit
Bought a project boat, pulled the engine out(3.0l OMC-GM). Got it started for about 15 seconds, but can't get it started again. New coil, new points, good spark on all 4, firing sequence good, good compression, good fuel (even try a bit of starting fluid). #1 spark aligned with 1 piston TDC. Took the head of, cleaned, no cracks, etc.. Took it to 2 mechanics and couldn't get it started. i'm out of ideas, any help will be appreciate.
Rod

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 Sunbird 3.0l OMC engine won't start

Bought a project boat, pulled the engine out(3.0l OMC-GM). Got it started for about 15 seconds, but can't get it started again. New coil, new points, good spark on all 4, firing sequence good, good compression, good fuel (even try a bit of starting fluid). #1 spark aligned with 1 piston TDC. Took the head of, cleaned, no cracks, etc.. Took it to 2 mechanics and couldn't get it started. i'm out of ideas, any help will be appreciate.
Rod

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Yer gonna have to doube/ triple check everything over,...

'cause, if what ya say is true, it'd have started,...

It takes fuel, fire, compression, 'n All at the Right Time for it to Run,....

alldodge

Staff member

Rod

:welcome: to iboats Rod

Have a look through Dons adults only section here
http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/adults-only-no-exceptions-468284.html
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...ting-your-engines-starting-system-167035.html

You say your getting spark but wonder how good it is.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did someone work on the engine and get the cam timing screwed up? Such as during a cam gear replacement. While you may have #1 lined up the distributor rotor, #1 cylinder needs to be on the COMPRESSION stroke. Remember, the crank turns twice for each power stroke. Ttherefore you may have the timing mark on "0" but for the EXHAUST stroke. Did you adjust the point gap (or dwell angle) properly? Valves adjusted properly? Is fuel squirting from the accelerator pump nozzles in the carb when you work the throttle? Choke adjusted properly? Good strong spark?