1990 omc cobra shift cable bellows replacement

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice
I have new bellows, all three, I am having trouble finding out if I can change the shift cable bellows without adjusting the cable. I found out if it is working fine, which it is, it is better to leave it alone, as this is a critical adjustment, and can cause gear failure if done wrong on the cobra omc. Will I have to readjust the cable just to put a new bellows on it. is there a diagram or pic , my omc manual is on order, wanted to do it tomarrow a.m. , before the manual arives, have the usless climer manual, which has terrible graphics you can not tell by. But did order the omc manual yesterday.

cr2k

Captain
Re: 1990 omc cobra shift cable bellows replacement

If you don't change and adjustments it's fine to disconnect it to change the bellows.

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice

If you don't change and adjustments it's fine to disconnect it to change the bellows.

Thanks, as I read several posts, it says that the cobra has no bellows on several? they sure sent me one? I think it will be as easy as my alpha one merc was, or easier, just something new, unknown, not scared! Love the quote if it aint fixable, dont break it! lol!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes, it can be done.
But ask yourself this.
I'm going through all this work? Why not change the cable too?
They sell the tools for setting the cable on e-bay.
While your doing this you should take the bellcrank out and clean the bushing and grease it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The only shift cable bellows on a cobra is the one on top of the tube that comes from the sterndrive to near the top of the engine.

#36 in the diagram.
OMC Stern Drive Transom Mount Parts for 1990 5.0 L 502APRPWS Stern Drive

It is next to the hand in this picture:
e260b132.jpg

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

And, as long as you aren't getting water in the boat...and it shifts right (a Cobra with a good shift cable in proper adjustment should shift very easy, if not then you probably need a new cable) I'd not bother changing that little bellows but as others said, if you are going to have the cable changed then do it at that time.
I was able to get the OE OMC tools from Crowley Marine and it made adjusting the cable pretty easy. I also checked the drag on the cable with a fish scale to be on the safe side since that is also very important.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have people standing in the back of the boat and there is wave action hitting the stern, you can get water out that tube so the boot needs to be there for sure if it isn't there already.

I know this because I took on a lot of water one day fishing.

barnstormerj

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, when you guys say ( verry little effort should be needed to shift, do you mean at the trottle control? or unhook the shift cable at the carburator and shift it there by hand? Just need that clairified.

MRS

Commander

Thanks, when you guys say ( verry little effort should be needed to shift, do you mean at the trottle control? or unhook the shift cable at the carburator and shift it there by hand? Just need that clairified.

At the controller I can shift mine with two fingers forward or reverse.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

same...(keep in mind this with the engine running in the water) if it shifts OK on land running it on the water hose, but is stiff in the water, then there is a problem. It should not be stiff coming out of gear to neutral in the water and it should not jump out of gear when accelerating. It should not grind shifting into gear, as long as you are shifting briskly (fast not slow) which is how you should shift a dog clutch drive. If any of these conditions is present it is a sign that you need a pro to look at it. If you can't run the boat in the water you can't really test it thoroughly. The load of the water on the prop is the thing that can make shifting to neutral difficult unless the cable is good, in adjustment, the ESA works right and your engine idle speed is correct (low as you can get it like 500-600 in gear in the water).