King cobra and regular cobra bellows ?

Does anyone know if king cobra drive bellows are the same as regular cobra ones ? I bought a Sierra bellow that said fits king and regular cobra. But I have found out that a lot of people say the part fits all cobras and in reality it doesn't fit the kings and your stuck with it and it doesn't fit a king. Any help would be appreciated !

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: King cobra and regular cobra bellows ?

cobra drain 2.jpgcobra drain 1.jpgIt depends on which King you have, there were Kings that used the plain garden variety Cobra, then there were the 460 Ford Kings (same upper unit as normal Cobra, different lower, but used same bellows). The ones that are completely different are the cone clutch Kings used on the big block engines, 90-93 or so. Post a pic of what you got. Then I can tell you. Here are some garden variety Cobra pix....The cone clutch drive is much beefier looking....

ive held the bellows that I bought in a gimbal bearing kit ( it was cheaper ) and used the gimbal and nothing else. i have held the bellows up to the ones that are currently installed and the look the same but I just was wondering .I am 99% positive it is the cone clutch era. The water passage is on the right the shift passage is on the left. the water pump is under the plastic triangular cover, has the hump at the top where the clutch is housed, and was originally mated with a 454 7.4L (Now its a 502) :) I don't have very good pictures of the drive and the boat is in a mine but here is the two I have. photo (11).jpg

Well that's no fun. I can't believe that nobody makes an aftermarket bellow. I can see not making the big parts. But the usual things that go bad. Bellows , gimbal , u joints. Etc. you think someone would make a damn rubber tube for this extinct drive instead of paying over 100 dollars for so called rubber corrugated tube. Oh well. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the boat so I gotta deal with it. Boats used in freshwater and the drive is always down unless the trailer tires are rolling so I'm gonna try to get as much time as possible out of the current bellows. Thanks for the help and thanks for the parts page !

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The regular is 0983973
The king is 0913825 went to 3852857 you need this.
Try to buy OEM if possible.It's more expensive, but just a better fit.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I always use OEM bellows. Way to important of a part to have fail.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well that's no fun. I can't believe that nobody makes an aftermarket bellow. I can see not making the big parts. But the usual things that go bad. Bellows , gimbal , u joints. Etc. you think someone would make a damn rubber tube for this extinct drive instead of paying over 100 dollars for so called rubber corrugated tube.

You would think huh? Unfortunately you'll need to get used to formerly $20 parts costing $100 or more as they dry up on the "New, Old Stock" market.

That model drive was the "interim" drive that happened at the end of the dog-clutch Cobras and in the transition from OMC to VP. Volvo didn't really want to support the old obsolete drives because they wanted people to buy the SX and other newer drives.