oil pressure sender for 1977 302 Ford Engine in a OMC stringer boat

RogerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
In an earlier thread, I got really good response to solving oil pressure problems. Thanks!!! I have isolated that my oil pressure sender is defective...I have great oil pressure.

Since then, I have gone through two senders purchased at an auto parts store thinking they could match it to a 1977 ford 302engine. But they peg the needle off the gauge and are useless. The gauge in the boat has a range up to 80 psi. I think the auto parts aren't able to identify the correct sender to match the gauge.

I have located an internet marine engine supplier with a part number tied to the serial number of my engine. Problem is, this boat was also sold with a Volvo 4cylinder engine and I am told the 302 ford engine replaced the original engine. I am certain that the oil pressure gauge on the boat is original to the boat.

So, the question I have....can I assume the OMC catalog part number for my particular engine will operate properly with the boat manufacture's oil pressure gauge?

I am open to any information or experiences with this. I might add that the picture of the sender I am looking at looks identical to the old one, (not so with the auto parts units) and also has "80" stamped on the side of it which might indicate it is for a meter with a range of 80 PSI.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil pressure sender for 1977 302 Ford Engine in a OMC stringer boat

Auto senders do not work on boat instruments. You need a sender that reads 33-240 ohms and you can get them right here on IBoats, or through the various instrument manufacturers.

RogerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: oil pressure sender for 1977 302 Ford Engine in a OMC stringer boat

Great information. Thanks. I found the source on Iboat as you suggested. although the part reference appear to relate to the later model, Cobra drives and don't provide ohm ratings, I am going to assume from your information that they also apply to the earlier model stringer drives. The part numbers do appear to cross reference to the part number I found for my particular engine.

Thanks again.