Question on buying manifolds for 1987 4.3l v6 Cobra

watson524

Cadet
After winterizing tonite, I'm feeling like I should start thinking about a manifold replacement (at 26 years of fresh water, they probably don't owe me anything).

I came across this:
OMC Cobra 4 3 Exhaust Manifold Set V6 | eBay pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a32af1acf&vxp=mtr

Which ends very soon. They look ok tho I did ask the seller if he had a shot of them from the other side. Anyone have any thoughts? I see other kits for sale with the riser adapters but I'd like to stay stock if at all possible.

I'm thinking even if I don't make the change right away, they'd be good to have if I could get a reasonable price (what is reasonable?)

thanks for any opinions.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Question on buying manifolds for 1987 4.3l v6 Cobra

Why would you want to replace yours if they are still good... If your boat is freshwater they might last you another 10 years... Also, 4.3 manifolds are still being manufactured so they are always availlable. I have OMC 2.3, in my case noneone have been makng manifolds for my engine for the past 15 years so I do keep one just in case, but if I would have 4.3 I would not worry about it...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I don't think I'd put used manifolds on a motor unless I could inspect them in person.
The "batwing" style were crap(my opinion)
26yrs. is a long time. The ones "sold" were setting a LONG time too.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Honestly I have never had a problem with those batwings, I wish they still made em. The first set on my boat were on 14 years, never leaked water in a cylinder, that was partly fresh and salt use. The second set I ran about 5 years (all salt) again never leaked water in cyl. Now on set #3, no leaks ever. When I need a new set I wanted to see if I can adapt the Merc dry joint system to my OMC. I do not like the standard 2 piece design, sooner or later they leak salt water in. The sealing surface corrodes and the gasket fails. A bad design.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Honestly I have never had a problem with those batwings, I wish they still made em. The first set on my boat were on 14 years, never leaked water in a cylinder, that was partly fresh and salt use. The second set I ran about 5 years (all salt) again never leaked water in cyl. Now on set #3, no leaks ever. When I need a new set I wanted to see if I can adapt the Merc dry joint system to my OMC. I do not like the standard 2 piece design, sooner or later they leak salt water in. The sealing surface corrodes and the gasket fails. A bad design.

+1 Mine are 25 years old and still going strong. I think the hatred for the bat-wing manifolds is overblown.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

When I need a new set I wanted to see if I can adapt the Merc dry joint system to my OMC.

The dry-joints are the best thing going nowadays! If there's a way to make them work, that would be the way to go!

Bondo

Staff member

+1 Mine are 25 years old and still going strong. I think the hatred for the bat-wing manifolds is overblown.

Ayuh,.... I personally know of 2 boat anchors that used to be 4.3l motors, Because of those POS manifolds,...

It's a Known fact that core-shiftin' in the castin' process was the original Issue with 'em,....

To Watson,... Welcome Aboard,.... I'd swap 'em out to a set of 2 piece manifolds, for the reason above, Not because of their age,...

In sweet water, Rotten manifolds is rarely to never an issue,...

watson524

Cadet

Shoot, I thought I was subscribed to updates and never got notices and am now dealing with a family emergency so I haven't been on much. Anyway, we did go and buy them. The two piece make me nervous because it seems like another place to leak. Ours are definitely spitting out crud through the exhaust as evidenced when I ran the engine in a tub for winterizing. The ones we bought (TBD on if we'll put them on right away but we have them if need be) are fine on the inside. Nothing coming off or chipping or anything so I'm ok with them. I do have an issue with how the seller packaged them so I'm going to post a separate thread as I have a drain issue and I need to know the best way to deal with it.