Mallory dist. replacement on '89 2.3l Ford (OMC Cobra)

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice
The replacement distributors I am looking at for his engine are the Mallory 9-26108 YL (points) and the Mallory 9-26306 YLM (electronic CD I believe). Another option is a Pertronix conversion kit. However, there has been a lot of chatter about performing (or not) a "diode fix" which has me confused about what that is.

Any learned opinions out there as to what my best option would be, or if there are other options I overlooked?

Thanks.:)

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mallory dist. replacement on '89 2.3l Ford (OMC Cobra)

I am also interested in this information as I have a 2.3l that I would like to convert

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I search in Mallory catalog from my suplier for the 009-26306YLM nothing comming up , but when I search for 009-26306 it comes up as this - DIST,CHEV.V8 MBI MARINE DIST,CHEV.V8 MBI MARINE

I do not think there is a distrubitor for the OMC 2.3, but even if it exist why would you wanna spend all that money, the only benefit is a simplier maintenance... If your points and timming set correctly that motor will run very well, and new points are very cheap...

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

However, there has been a lot of chatter about performing (or not) a "diode fix" which has me confused about what that is.

You probably talking about Shift Assist Module, much simplier and reliable solution to diode fix, Sierra P/N 018-58900

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Agree with Bulash. I did this same conversion on the V8 gm motor, so I can't exactly what part numbers you will need.

My ESA was showing signs of corrosion and , like you, didn't want to do any custom electro. The part I have is from CDI electronics and is made to work with breakerless distributors and the OMC harness.

During this mod I also consulted with Mallory and they have a tech that can answer your questions.

Acquire Mallory's install diagrams as well as CDI's. And have handy the OMC wiring diagram, all of them are helpful.

You will also probably need some ignition wire and terminals. I ran a wire from the key switch all the way to the distributor.

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

The distributor is the original, I believe, installed in a rebuilt engine. I'm not sure the bushings and mech. advance springs are still good. I haven't been able to locate a shop near here that has a dist. tester.
I got the Mallory part number from their online catalogue, have to recheck it. Floattest sounds like a doable project. I couldn't locate the shift assist module (per Bulbash), 018-58900, in their online catalogue. I have wiring diagrams and electric test equipment to follow through with the installation.

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

I installed a Pertonix Ignitor II and Pertronix coil on my 2.3. It was the best upgrade I ever did. The boat starts instantly hot or cold, will idle all day long and run WOT without an issue. I removed my OMC shift interrupter and installed a relay that grounds out ignition when shifting. It works like a charm. I shift in and out of gear with one finger at 800 RPM with no stalling. It never started or ran that good on points. The points were a pain to set, and it was impossible to find a dwell meter at a reasonable price. I'm 36 and points were before my time. The Pertronix was easy to install. Just drop it in and set the timing.

Cheers.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I couldn't locate the shift assist module (per Bulbash), 018-58900, in their online catalogue.

Did you look in Sierra catalog? You can also look it up using original P/N Shift Assist Module Kit, OMC 987740.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed a Pertonix Ignitor II and Pertronix coil on my 2.3. It was the best upgrade I ever did. The boat starts instantly hot or cold, will idle all day long and run WOT without an issue. I removed my OMC shift interrupter and installed a relay that grounds out ignition when shifting. It works like a charm. I shift in and out of gear with one finger at 800 RPM with no stalling. It never started or ran that good on points. The points were a pain to set, and it was impossible to find a dwell meter at a reasonable price. I'm 36 and points were before my time. The Pertronix was easy to install. Just drop it in and set the timing.

I'm running original system with points and original ESA, however I would be interested to switch to the electronic ignition if it priced reasonably. What did it cost you for a complete setup? What parts did you have to replace? Please post P/N if you can.

I'm 28 I know points are last century thing, but it is not a rocket sience, yes they are pain, but you only have to do them once in a few years if you do everything right, and my boat runs excellent at any RPM...

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

I believe the part number for the Pertronix kit was 9ML-141. This was for the Ignitor II and the Flame Thrower coil. I think it was around $140. Everything I needed was in the kit. It took about 30 minutes to install. The only thing I needed to do was check and reset the timing. My 2.3 never seemed to idle for long periods (an hour or longer) on the points. It always seemed like it idled rough and wanted to load up and die. With the Pertronix it will idle all day. Maybe its because I never had the proper dwell? I never seen a dwell meter in real life nor do I care to. Pertronix has their installation instructions on the website. Read up on them so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Last edited:

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

Well, in my case the conversion has become a mute point for a while at least. Couldn't time engine and got backfires. Pulled the dist, and say the teeth on the intermediate shaft had been ground down to a nice concave edged disk! Crap. Anyone know of a resource toobtain a replacement intermediate shaft? Gonna have to drop the oil pan and clean out the works. Dist gear is actually in pretty good condition. Any ideas as to why the shaft gears got chewedup?

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cheers.

I also have a 2.3 I am curious what info you have or part numbers for the pertronix kits, I have a stock dist. is the kit for a stock dist or the Mallory? thanks for any info you can provide

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

Cheers.

"Pertonix Ignitor II and Pertronix coil on my 2.3 installed a relay that grounds out ignition when shifting"
Could you include some detail about the size/type relay you used and how it is actually installed? The Pertronix parts sounds like a hot setup which I like. There have been varying opinions about the use of relays or other aftermarket ignition/shift interruption setups.
Thanks!

bezerk1

Seaman Apprentice

Icyveins, the stock distributor is a Mallory. I believe the part number for the Pertronix kit is 9ML-141. I used a simple automotive type relay. I'm not sure of the amp rating on it, but its nothing special. When you pull the gearbox out of gear it activates the interrupter switch on the shift cable bracket. It will only do this when the boat is in water, and there is a load on the gearset. That in turn latches the relay. When the relay latches, it grounds out the coil. When the gears un-mesh (shifter in neutral), the interrupter switch releases, unlatching the relay, and un-grounding the coil. The distributor begins to fire the plugs again. It is a very simple and reliable setup. I believe this is how some Mercruisers might be setup. I don't know that as a fact though. My OMC shifts flawlessly, engine RPM never really changes, and when listening closely only a slight bump can be heard. The whole process takes about a second. I hope this explains it. I wish I was near my boat as I would take some pictures for you.

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

The Pertronix and relay solution sounds good. The only thing I'm not clear on is the relay activated ignition interruption. When you say the coil is grounded with the relay latching, is that a direct ground from the + coil terminal, through relay and to ground? I know it's only momentary, but if the relay malfunctions and hangs up "made" isn't something going to melt down like the wire to the coil, or is there a time delay fuse in line perhaps? Another thought is inserting the relay into the + coil wire in a normally closed configuration. The cherry switch on the shift mechanism would then activate the relay contacts to open and cause the engine interupt. If the relay failed when trying to activate it would just result in forced heavy shift out of gear, or stall out the engine if it didn't re-make on de-energizing. Thoughts on this?
Thanks.

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan on ordering the kit from pertronix and installing, I am curious about the coil..... did you go with a new coil aswell, I thought I read somewhere on IB that someone did the full conversion and it came with a new coil for around 140$? Thanks for the help I really am looking forward to my build, I will try and get a build thread going

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Don't do the relay grounding out the coil method. Stick with the ESA. If you do go to an electronic ignition conversion, get the CDI ESA.

If OMC thought that doing it the "Mercruiser Way" was better, they would have designed it that way in the first place.

Last edited:

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

Good suggestion. The more I look at the OMC wiring diagram, think about inductive reverse currents, voltage drops, burned relay contacts, collateral damages not considered until troubleshooting a failure, live vs. dead engine on the water, I agree a tested solution is best. After all, this is for a 1989 virtual dinosaur of an engine (even though they do run great when set up correctly). I sometimes have an inclination to re-invent the wheel. Pertronix (w/diode fix if needed) plus the CDI ESA sounds better and better. I grew up in the points distributor, gap/dwell angle age (we even had 4 wheel drum brakes to adjust on our hemi powered land vehicles!!). I'm goin' with it and putting the removed distributor guts on my wall next to the old Nokia phone with the extendable antenna!

Thanks to all of you responders for your input.
DAT

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would get the Mallory replacement distributor before i got the Pertronix. You get a new distributor that way. Basically, the pertronix just replaces the points...that's it. You still have all the old parts in your distributor including worn bushings and old springs.

Dtruedog

Seaman Apprentice

OK, I follow your reasoning to a point, then my economics side kicks in. In my case, the dist. bore/shaft fit is very smooth with very little horizontal/vertical play( I don't have lathe/gauges to measure the actual axial run-out). Granted, the springs are old and I may/may not be able to find OEM replacements. I have a new distributor drive gear to install and like-new auxiliary shaft for the engine (I'm assuming the bearings are good). A new Mallory distributor (YS621CV) will run several hundreds of dollars (unless there is some very nice person out there with one, willing to part with it at a good, low price)!!

(Question for the Forum: Is there a YL for the '89 Ford marine L-4 that is a direct replacement that works?)

I can do the Pertronix "fix" for less than a buck-fifty. I still have time to decide so I am interested in other ideas that may be out there!!

What say you (anyone??)?