Replacing BARR exhaust manifold with OSCO: GM inline 6, OMC 165

71Fiberform

Cadet
Hi, Im a long time lurker, havent posted too much.. so here goes.

Long story short, my 71 Fiberform rebuild finds me with a cracked exhaust. Engine is a GM inline 6 with an OMC 165 sterndrive(mod#980063).

My question is: Can I replace my Barr marine exhaust with an Osco(MO618).. I have already purchased the Osco because I was told there was an adapter for the riser, but they are two different patterns, and I have yet to find an 'adapter'. The Osco adapter from exhaust man. to riser is MO65538 but it doesnt line up with the riser. The barr (OMC) riser is #20910380.

My question ultimately is: Is there an adapter from my OMC riser to this Osco manifold? OR Can I buy the Osco riser and will it line up with my exhaust bellows?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Replacing BARR exhaust manifold with OSCO: GM inline 6, OMC 165

:welcome: to iboats

I'm not real familure with the risers your indicating but have been looking into osco and barr. I cannot find an osco MO618 and I'm having trouble finding the numbers your listing. It also seems to be dificult to find OMC inline 6 exhaust, but I can find Merc inline 6 exhaust. Barr indiactes they have an adapter:
1-0014 Universal adaptor to fit any engine with 3 1/4” or smaller manifold end (drill to suit manifold).

Here is Merc GM 6 by Barr MerCruiser Inline 6 (250 ci) Exhaust Manifold - 165hp

I'm trying but having some problems, can you provide anymore info?

71Fiberform

Cadet

Thanks for your help.. The adapter I have is the OSCO MO65538, it doesnt fit the OMC riser that is on the boat. The riser is an OMC, So basically I need to fit the OSCO manifold to the OMC riser and the one that came with it doesnt fit.. I think its for a mercruiser outdrive.. The OSCO manifold is almost exactly the same the Barr that came off except for the bolt holes for the adapter plate. The old barr adapter doesnt fit the OSCO manifold..

Hope that helps.. I will look into the adapter you posted, but it doesnt say it fits the riser model # that I have.....:confused:

southkogs

Staff member

I was trying to look around some last night, but couldn't figure it out. I think I came across an adapter, but I couldn't tell if it was for the right manifold.

alldodge

Staff member

I can find OSCO MO65538 but unable to find it in the OMC catalog of OSCO motors. Here is the catalog page I found:
http://www.oscomotors.com/catalog/pdf/osco-pg32-35.pdf

Pages 32 and 33 are for the GM 6 cylinder and includes different risers. I would suggest contacting OSCO and they should be able to assist. There contact number is (800) 762-6726

southkogs

Staff member

^^^^^ That's what I was seein' last night. The 250 inline six is what my OMC 165 is, and I "think" that the riser adapter and such there looks right for mine.

Just not an expert on this kinda' stuff.

71Fiberform

Cadet

ill take some pics and post up

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Cobe Marine in Pasadena,Md.
They specialize in Osco manifolds.
They might be able to help?

71Fiberform

Cadet

Waking up this old thread to see if anyone may have an answer to this. Was told by e-power that this adapter did exist but it is not made anymore..

Any help would be great! I think I will just replace the exhaust riser to an osco as well and forget the adapter..

alldodge

Staff member

Waking up this old thread to see if anyone may have an answer to this. Was told by e-power that this adapter did exist but it is not made anymore..

Any help would be great! I think I will just replace the exhaust riser to an osco as well and forget the adapter..

Where this thread was left you indicated that you would take some pics, and Jerry gave you a company of "Cobe Marine in Pasadena,Md."

Did you attempt to call or take pics?

71Fiberform

Cadet

Sorry I had pictures just didnt have time to upload them.
Havent called the other place, but I have asked around a few others. Like I said, I was told the adapter isnt sold anymore.. just wondering if anyone knows of this part. I cant be the first person who ever replaced a Barr with an OSCO manifold...
20140312_134525.jpg20140312_134441.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Sorry I had pictures just didnt have time to upload them.
Havent called the other place, but I have asked around a few others. Like I said, I was told the adapter isnt sold anymore.. just wondering if anyone knows of this part. I cant be the first person who ever replaced a Barr with an OSCO manifold...
View attachment 225667View attachment 225668

Ayuh,... Yer probably gonna have to get the Osco riser that fits yer Osco manifold,...