OMC Cobra Bellows How To

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I'm having a hell of a time finding a how to for changing the U-Joint bellows anywhere on the forums or even through Google for that matter. Can anyone lead me in the right direction with a link?? It would be greatly appreciated

I bought an 89 Bayliner Capri with a 3.0L Cobra. The outdrive was pooched when purchased. I bought a new drive for it. Before fitting the new drive I tried using the old input shaft and joint assemble to make sure my alignment was good but I cannot get the damn u-joint to pop through the bellows. Seems just too tight. The bellows were all full of gear lube and crap from the old drive giving up the ghost. assuming that's what caused the bellows to swell a bit? Also at the bellows opening its chewed up a bit from trying to get the u joint to go through. I'm confident once in get the u joint to pop through the bellow it will be smooth sailing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra Bellows How To

Sometimes?
Putting it in gear and turning the prop and pushing will help with install.
Just trying to push sometimes isin't enough.
Gear lube or grease on all surfaces will help too.
Make sure the drive is level with the transom, I block them up and try to get as even as possible.
Pull up on the shift shaft,I think that's forward.
Then after you put the shaft in the bellows, reach down with the right hand and lift UP on the prop ear.
This will turn the gears and the shaft might go right in?

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

I'll clean up all the oil sitting in there from the old drive and give it another go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Some of the aftermarket bellows were tight. If you don't know the age of the bellows change them and use an OEM one.

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

they look to be in near perfect condition minus the gouge marks near the from the last time the drive was put on. I think I'm going to give it a go tonight with the actual drive.

nobody has a link for a bellows "how to"?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

they look to be in near perfect condition minus the gouge marks near the from the last time the drive was put on. I think I'm going to give it a go tonight with the actual drive.

nobody has a link for a bellows "how to"?
The OMC factory manual is good.

Sent you a PM

Buy an alignment bar for alignment adjusting. An old input shaft isn't good enough.

Last edited:

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help man. the manual shows to remove the pivot housing. is this a must?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

thanks for the help man. the manual shows to remove the pivot housing. is this a must?
I always remove it. That part is easy. Just 2 bolts and it gets it out of the way. Been awhile since I did a Cobra. I think you will have enough slack with the shift cable that it won't be an issue. Maybe someone who has done it recently will chime in.

Last edited:

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

so after I take off the pivot housing (the 2 Allen bolts correct?) it just pops off and goes right back on? no aligning or crazy stuff? I'm more of a car guy and just don't wanna get in over my head is all lol

MyBad

Cadet

I removed the two allen bolts, and lifted the pivot housing up enough to pop the bellows out, and back in. I didn't remove the lower shift cable, for the housing. Detached the shift cable at the engine though. Was very easy really, and it was the first one I had done as well.

G/L

MB

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

No its easy.

If you don't have the adjusting tools for the lower shift cable, you may not want to disconnect it at the engine. The lower shift cable is tricky to adjust and if you adjust it wrong, you can wipe out your dog gears.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Fill out the profile?
Location?
You might be close to someone who can help??
The bellows if it's got serious nicks or gouges on the lip it should be replaced.
If the mating surface is ok? a few nicks won't hurt.

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

thanks man. in wouldn't say they're serious. I cant figure out how to edit my profile from my phone. I'm in Cobourg, Ontario Canada. I've got a marine mechanic thats does side jobs coming to the house today to check things out for me.

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

OK guys. the guy that was supposed to show up never did, surprise surprise. well I'm not one to give up so I went out and did a dry run without gaskets and sealer. in actually got the drive shaft into the coupler on the first shot!!! pulled then drive back out and put on then gasket and gave it a go and it went on with no problems. she's all buttoned up. should i be alright to throw on the muffs and try it out right away?

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice

well, I waited an hour. the ultra black is supposed to dry after an hour fully cure after 24. I used it around the o ring for the water. everything seems to be great. impeller is sucking lots of water! temp is staying nice and low. motor is purring like a kitten, shifts gears flawlessly with hardly and noise. next step is water test next sunday