How to replace trim sender OMC Cobra 3.0

gobucks

Recruit
I have a bad trim sender (P/N 984748 or 18-7634). Sterndrive Model: 302APRMED Serial: T1146823

I also have a Clymer's shop manual. The manual does not specifically say how to do this, but it does have instructions once you have the outdrive apart.

My question is this. How much of the outdrive do I have to disassemble to replace the trim sender?

In the manual, info about the trim sender is shown after:

1) Remove pivot housing
2) Remove gimbal ring
3) Loosen hose clamps
4) Remove bellows and hose
5) Clean or replace sacrificial anode

So it looks like Clymer's gets around to the trim sender in the process of removing the outdrive gimbal housing. They don't cover the sender itself. How much of this work is it possible to bypass?

Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to replace trim sender OMC Cobra 3.0

I have a bad trim sender (P/N 984748 or 18-7634). Sterndrive Model: 302APRMED Serial: T1146823

I also have a Clymer's shop manual. The manual does not specifically say how to do this, but it does have instructions once you have the outdrive apart.

My question is this. How much of the outdrive do I have to disassemble to replace the trim sender?

//////////////
So it looks like Clymer's gets around to the trim sender in the process of removing the outdrive gimbal housing. They don't cover the sender itself. How much of this work is it possible to bypass?

Thanks

Howdy,

Welcome aboard,

Seloc/Clymer manuals are frequently in error or omit "stuff" altogether. (they're pretty good for starting your woodstove though:rolleyes:)

There's not much holding that sender on the gimbal mount. (a couple of screws)

I would suggest you get an OEM OMC manual or have a look at the following. Boatinfo - OMC 1986-1998 Service Manual (TRIM & TILT Pg 13-25)

Reading through the above manual, I found some rather simple instructions to R&R the sender. It didn't appear that the drive or gimbal must be removed/disassembled.

Now having said all that, I'm assuming your sender is completely INOP.......... Don't expect the new trim sender/gage system to be "accurate"

I.E. Don't expect to be able to use particular settings (on the gage) to be meaningful or reproduce-able. You MUST adjust the trim by "feel" for every speed or condition.

The gage is really only good to tell you if the drive is either all the way UP or DOWN. (or maybe "someplace" in the middle)

It only gives you a starting point for adjustment.........and that adjustment is done experimentally every time you get on a plane........ You should never just "set it and forget it"

Regards,

Rick

gobucks

Recruit
Re: How to replace trim sender OMC Cobra 3.0

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link to the most excellent repair document for my boat. It addressed my exact issue. Yeah, Clymer's manual is pretty bad on this topic. They didn't even consider writing a "how to" for replacing the most likely part that might need to be replaced in the tilt/trim section. Their instructions didn't seem reasonable and thank God I asked before tearing the outdrive apart!

Right now my trim gauge is intermittent, mostly jumps around between full up and full down and on a rare occasion it will indicate the correct trim. I realize the limitations of the trim gauge. Sadly, I'm a bit (not according to my wife) hard of hearing and have trouble hearing full up or full down. I'm a new boater and am learning along with my teenage daughter how to operate the boat. Even though it's not perfectly accurate, a properly functioning trim gauge would be a big help for both of us.

I understand how the trim sender works and will confirm prior to replacement that it's not the wiring or gauge. In the forums here I read that one chap replaced just the potentiometer in the sender housing. When I pull the sender, I'll consider this approach as well. 5 bucks beats a hundred bucks any day of the week. :)

Many thanks and best success with your boating.

Eli