drive shaft & exhaust bellows replacement 1987 5.7 litre omc motors & drives

andrewwaddy

Recruit
is this job too big for someone who has never done it before? special tools required? this boat has been out of the water for 2 years put away properly. i wanna drop it in the water but i cant afford to have the bellows done by a marine tech. i just wanna get it to a marina by water about 30 or 40 miles up river to its home slip & have it done before i move it again. i would be more ready to attempt changeout if i had video guidance but havenot been able to find good video. can anyone help? please?!:confused:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: drive shaft & exhaust bellows replacement 1987 5.7 litre omc motors & drives

Re: drive shaft & exhaust bellows replacement 1987 5.7 litre omc motors & drives

20 years ago I asked the same question at a merc dealer... they insisted that I'd be crazy to try it... They wanted $700 to do it and my boat wasn't WORTH that much... I had factory service manuals and did it in under 3 hours... Can you do it... I dunno... I had rebuilt a few chevy v-8's and managed to tear down and reassemble a chevy th-350 transmission to change the output shaft without a book or any instruction prior.... Can you do it.... If you are a wrench slinger then sure... if you need help to change oil or a tire then no way

BTW this is the propeller section.... let's get this moved to the right section.

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

is this job too big for someone who has never done it before? special tools required? this boat has been out of the water for 2 years put away properly. i wanna drop it in the water but i cant afford to have the bellows done by a marine tech. i just wanna get it to a marina by water about 30 or 40 miles up river to its home slip & have it done before i move it again. i would be more ready to attempt changeout if i had video guidance but havenot been able to find good video. can anyone help? please?!:confused:

I did it for the first time this spring after shop quoted me $600... It took me about 6 hours but I had to go to the hardware store to get a few tools half way through. The only special tools required are: 1. Shift cable adjustment tool ( you should adjust your shift cable if you there anyways) 2. Large diameter 18 or 20mm allen key socket (not sure of a proper name for it, but that is on the side of transom assembly)... By all means I'm not a mechanic and I can not rebuild transmissions and stuff, but these was not hard at all.