brand new faria trim guage and new trim sending unit nothing works wtf at my wits end

mmhyson

Seaman
I have an 89 donzi with a 5.7 omc and cobra drive. I bought the boat an the trim guage never read. so I bought a new guage and a new sending unit and it still doesn't work. am I missing somthingi have triple checked my connections and I am confident they are hooked up correctly. am I missing something. im beyond frusterated.

mmhyson

Seaman
Re: brand new faria trim guage and new trim sending unit nothing works wtf at my wits

does the boat have to be running for it to work?

mmhyson

Seaman
Re: brand new faria trim guage and new trim sending unit nothing works wtf at my wits

anyone and thoughts

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Power goes to the gauge, 'n the sender reads variable resistance to ground,....

mmhyson

Seaman

anything else

mmhyson

Seaman

obviously something is wrong. any place to start looking ?

Tnstratofam

Commander

My trim guage did'nt work on my Stratos when I got it. I had a broken wire under my dash where someone had cut it to splice for power I guess. Once I got that fixed I had to adjust the sender on the drive to read correctly. Did you run all new wire from guage to sender or splice into what was already run? Also check to be sure guage doesn't have to be zeroed or calibrated.

mmhyson

Seaman

the new guage says its been calibrated, my sending unit doesnt have any adjustments like a mercuruser. and i did not run all new wire, i will use a meter and see what i find this weekend. the splice things sounds like somthing previous owner would have done

mmhyson

Seaman

ended up being a very rotten bad ground wire

Tnstratofam

Commander

Rot on a boat surely not. Glad you got it fixed.