• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

'69 Johnson "Surfer" 300 buick V8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '69 Johnson "Surfer" 300 buick V8

hi , i just recently became the owner of a new toy . It's in nice shape and has a 300 v8 buick motor..guy i got it from said it ran last yr but he put a new cap n rotor and it wont start now.. it's close.. it pops a lil , i think it's points or sumtn ? it's 19 ft and weighs a ton , but it looks pretty stable for lake michigan/superior. I'm hoping to get it runnin' soon and having a cheap toy . i already have a pontoon with a 90 HP merc but i wanted one i could take different places and explore a little ..thanx , steve
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0382f8012523979ea29ed533192a0267.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	182019Click image for larger version

Name:	46809d5ff96157bff887d5ce86cca45d.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	182020Click image for larger version

Name:	7ef8f1b1627b15e13c6837fa288c21c2.jpg
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	182021

Re: '69 Johnson "Surfer" 300 buick V8

Looks to be a nice survivor in good condition for the age

This site is a good resource for engines and drives like that. There are ups and downs with that combo, some downs are due to age and some are due to the actual mechanics. One "Up' is that those were good running setups back in their day, and if well maintained the "Downs" could be mitigated. The odd-fire Buck V6 is "wierd" to tune regarding points, but it is all good for those in the know.

Trailer looks stout too even with the surface rust.

Welcome aboard! and Congrats on the new toy
    1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy Volvo Penta 570/DP
    1980 Glastron SSV167 90HP Mariner

Comment

Welcome aboard ... and were you "hoam skooled?"

Cool lookin' boat. I like the older Surfers. Have you tried starting it with the sterndrive off? Just to eliminate the possibility of a seized gear case, you may want to remove the drive to try starting it.

Also, check your firing order.
      ---------
      sigpic
      Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by southkogs View Post
        Welcome aboard ... and were you "hoam skooled?"

Cool lookin' boat. I like the older Surfers. Have you tried starting it with the sterndrive off? Just to eliminate the possibility of a seized gear case, you may want to remove the drive to try starting it.

Also, check your firing order.
        lol , no i went to public schools and have a doctorate from Michigan ..lol .. i made that ID for a game on facebook i used to play (mafia wars) and i kind of took a liking to it ..lol.. the drive has been serviced and is free and working.. i think a switch isnt working though because we went to try and start when it was in gear and the prop spun ..didnt think it was supposed to try n start in gear ...lol.. but the buick 300 V8 has good compression and wants to fire , it's something in the points i think..spark seems kindve weak .. it pops a lil and acts like it wants to start..bilge/blower and power trim are all functional .was told it ran last yr and he put new cap n rotor n plugs n wires and it didnt start , i'm encouraged by the fact it has a '14 sticker on it .. i assume you dont get a sticker if it doesnt work , so i think the seller was truthful ..so i'm sure it's simple ,a good buddy of mine owns a boat/atv/quad/snowmobile etc etc repair shop and i'm baby sitting it all week answering phones and tending to people coming in to pick up their finished items ..he went fishing in canada for a week .. so i have a free range of all the tools i could ever want and i brought my boat there ,but i'm not the worlds best mechanic. My buddy said if i dont get it going by the time he gets back he will get 'er goin' .. a couple other sites i stumbled on have been trying to talk me out of this boat giving me horror stories. i think it's a neat boat and i only paid 200 bux for it . my buddy already said he'd give me 400 for the lower unit and the trailer is a '00 double axle with an electric winch .. so thats worth sumtn .and the 300 buick v8 i heard was popular with rat rodders because it was 497 lbs and 210 HP ... and it came with a 2011 energizer marine battery and a working "Eagle" fish finder. . so it seemed like a zero risk investment . i would really like to get it lake worthy though. At 19 ft i think it should handle lake superior or michigan .. i have a 24' pontoon with a 90 HP merc that stays in the lake in my town here ..but i wanted a boat i could take different places , so when i found this i figured it was worth a shot for the price ..

Comment

Make sure you check out and service that 'old' electric shift outdrive. It even predates the last common iteration of OMC electric shifts.

Comment

Check the distributor cap. I have a 1951 Chevy and it had a no start after it shut down once. It would pop and crack every once in a while but not start. I replaced the cap and it fired off with a few revolutions.. After looking at the old cap, it was quite obvious it was arching all over the place. The 'old' cap had probably 4-5hrs run time on it at best
            1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoam_Skooled View Post
              ...no i went to public schools and ... i made that ID for a game on facebook i used to play (mafia wars) and i kind of took a liking to it ...
              Funny. I only asked 'cuz mine are home schooled and make pretty regular jokes about themselves like that. "No dad, that's home-schooler math!"

I asked about the firing order because I did that little number on myself last year when I swapped plugs and wires. Hooked 'em back up wrong.

How's the throttle/idle adjust on it? As opposed to putting it in gear, try setting the throttle up a bit maybe?
              ---------
              sigpic
              Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

and the 300 buick v8 i heard was popular with rat rodders because it was 497 lbs and 210 HP ...
                Ayuh,... Ya keep callin' it a V8, but I only see 6 spark plug wires,...
                Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Maybe that is "home-schooler" shop class engine identification

And my objective observation skills are from "home-schooler" classes too I guess, as I did not notice the V8 in the title and descriptions, just knew it was the Buick V6 that OMC used so my brain ignored the rest

Anyways, pretty cool boat and I hope it runs good for you once you get it sorted

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                    Ayuh,... Ya keep callin' it a V8, but I only see 6 spark plug wires,...
                    lol.. it's just the pic .. it's definitely an 8 ... i wrote down the firing order and am going to trace the plug wires today and make sure they are on right .. the cap is new in appearance but i was thinking of getting a new cap n rotor and starting over with a tune up kit..the guy i bought it from didnt know the displacement of the engine..so i was wondering if he bought parts for a 350.. i'm not sure if it would be different or not , but i may just start with another fresh cap n rotor for peace of mind..not too expensive..on my way to watch my buds shop and tinker with the boat ..hopefully i get a lil closer to getting it runnin' today ..

Comment

I'm gettin' schooled now...!

Comment

'69 had two v8's and a v6.

The 155 HP was an OEM Buick/Jeep 225 V6
                        The other two were 210 HPs both using OEM Chevy 307 V8s. Not quite sure what the difference was between 'em.

I don't see where they ever put a 350 in them.
                        ---------
                        sigpic
                        Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by southkogs View Post
                          '69 had two v8's and a v6.

The 155 HP was an OEM Buick/Jeep 225 V6
                          The other two were 210 HPs both using OEM Chevy 307 V8s. Not quite sure what the difference was between 'em.

I don't see where they ever put a 350 in them.
                          it's a 300 CI 210 HP buick

Comment

it's a 69 title but it has a '67 motor..someone told me it wasnt uncommon for the motor and hull not to match .. unless it's a really a '67 and a title was lost and recreated as a '69 ..lol.. kindve a mystery

Comment

Originally posted by Hoam_Skooled View Post
                              it's a 69 title but it has a '67 motor..someone told me it wasnt uncommon for the motor and hull not to match .. unless it's a really a '67 and a title was lost and recreated as a '69 ..lol.. kindve a mystery
                              Nope - I gotcha' now. They used the 300 Buick in '68 (missed that when I was lookin') and that would make sense on a '69 boat. All good.
                              ---------
                              sigpic
                              Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                              X